1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fretless bass help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by benchpress11782, Jan 29, 2013.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Hello. I have a fretless warwick corvette that is hissing. Do I need a di box? And if so, what is a good one for a clean warm tone. I just want to clean up sound and get rid of hiss. I mostly use it with headphones into gt-10, no amp. And also when I use an amp. Thank you for all advice. I do not believe it is bass fault. Thanks

2. xring

xring

I also have a Warwick fretless. It should not be hissy unless you are favoring one of the pickups from the balance knob. Make sure it is centered and watch out for lighting fixtures. They tend to add noise.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo

Are you having this problem on stage or just in your bedroom? Usually playing live, the hustle and bustle of the audience and the other instruments in the band will mask quiet hiss and it's no problem.

How do you know the hiss is coming from the bass and not the Boss multieffects unit? Try plugging your bass into a high quality preamp (instead of the Boss) and see if that solves the problem.

Another approach you can take is to turn down the "treble" control, that should help.

Worst case, you can purchase a "noise gate" (if your Boss doesn't already have this feature).