1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless bass options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezmar, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I have decided that I will have a fretless. I'm going to be a little choosy, but what I want is names. What are some 4 string fretless basses that I can get for $1500 or under? Ideally I want a really nice one, like a Zon or something, but that's way out of my price range now.

So just names, I guess, and what they sort of sound like? I'm kind of just doing research right now, looking at my options.

Thanks.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Check out Carvin. For $1500 you'd be able to get something really nice.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

If you're willing to look at used instruments, you may get lucky and find a used Zon, Modulus, or Pedulla fretless for $1500. I would definitely not rule that out.
  4. punisher911

punisher911

Warwick Corvette Fretless is nice..
  5. Liam76

Liam76

+1

That was the first fretless I played at a local GC. I didn't buy it but it convinced me to buy one and eventually build a Warmoth fretless.
  6. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

i prefer to buy new myself, but in your case used seems to be the way to go. i could be way off the mark about this, but i feel like the added value in boutique-level construction makes a bigger difference with fretlesses. so a used zon or pedulla is probably your best bet.
  7. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

A few thoughts -
    Here is one in the classifieds that seems like a good deal - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/brubaker-fretless-5-a-934773/

I would consider a fretless EBMM stingray, fretless Fender jazz, or precision - all great options, new or used...
  8. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Try for a used Pedulla or Zon. There's a Pedulla in the TB Classifieds right now that's just about in your range.
  9. bass5str

bass5str Supporting Member

+ 1 to the used high/mid/custom range gear. for specifics it would help to know more about your style/preference/focus?

as per my personal interest i would say zon's have the best fretless feel/sound for my taste. honorable mention goes to a tony franklin fender, clement and thumb.

can you give us more info?
  10. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

+1
  11. Nahguavkire

Nahguavkire

Haven't played all of the aforementioned but my money's on Fender Jazz. You won't find a better players bass as far as I'm concerned. It's all I play these days and the only thing I'm considering otherwise is a Fodera Imperial/ Emperor II if funds would allow.
  12. Ezmar

Ezmar

Right now my fretted is a Fender Jazz, which I like quite a bit. Mostly I'm looking towards a fretless because it will sort of expand my horizons, I guess, make me think in a little different way. In terms of music, I like Classic rock, progressive rock, and some other stuff on a case by case basis. None of that stuff requires a fretless, but the reason I'm kind of itching for one is because of Michael Manring's stuff, and that sort of solo bass thing. You can't get harmonics to sound right with fretted notes sometimes.

I guess in terms of the sound I like to get, I typically use Roto Swing bass Stainless strings. I like it tight and bright, for the most part. I would Try and play something before I bought it, if I could, but sometimes you can't. But even if I couldn't, I'd probably be getting something of a high enough quality that I'd be hard pressed to be unhappy about what I had.
  13. bass5str

bass5str Supporting Member

that helps :D

given what you said i'm suggesting couple things to try in the used market.

1) since you love your jazz i'd say keep it in the family but look for an ebony fingerboard (might up the difficulty level in finding one). i'd also suggest modding an active pre, detuner and possibly swapping pups at some point in the future. at first, i'd go easy and look for a comparable 4 banger to what you have.

suggestions: tony franklin, jazz or a pj fender

this route will save you some coin with a slightly lower entry price point and the extra cash can be used later to mod it as you see fit.

2) a used zon sonus 2 pup model with 34 scale to help with the muscle memory in swapping instruments. mod a detuner later.

gl on your journey. i first picked up a fretless much like you... to think about music differently. now its my primary go to :bassist:
  14. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

If you want to do the michael manring solo bass thing you'll want to make sure you get a fretless with a coated fretboard so you can use roundwound strings. That's a major factor IMO.
  15. Ezmar

Ezmar

My plan was to use rounds. I'll see what I can find. I don't have a lot of cash now, since I'm in college and I mostly earn over summer jobs. But I'll keep my eyes open.

I also have a Squier Jazz that was my crappy old bass. It's not that terrible, a new bridge would fix most of the issues it had. It wasn't a great bass, just acceptable. would it be worth it to get a new neck for that one, or to spend more money for an actually nice fretless?
  16. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

Always P/J
    Always rounds
    Always active tone circuit
    Always a finished/coated fingerboard
    Always a hard wood for the fingerboard.

Just my preferences :)
  17. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

I got a used but flawless Modulus VJ4 fretless on eBay for $1100. It was probably one of the best purchases I ever made and now it gets played just as much as my EBMM Sterling fretted. Definately don't rule out used as long as its in the right condition. Quality instruments are definately out there for good prices
  18. Ezmar

Ezmar

Yeah, if I can find one, I'll get it used. I got my jazz used, so I'm familiar. It's kind of frustrating, though. At least in the TB Clasifieds, nobody seems to be selling their nice 4 string fretlesses. It's all 5ers and 6ers.
  19. Roger Haworth

Roger Haworth

I've just gone from flats to Roto solo bass pressure wounds on my Fender Jazz fretless. Essentially they are rounds with the rough edges smoothed off. They will be kind to the rosewood board and sound bright and alive, with plenty of presence compared to flats. Might be an initial compromise for the OP?
  20. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

I would say not man. I think saving up for a nice new bass is almost always a better idea than trying to upgrade a cheap or crappy one.