Fretless bass problems/enquiries

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FYFEYSFW, Dec 19, 2013.

1. FYFEYSFW

FYFEYSFW

Hey guys, I bought a fretless jazz copy type bass a while ago, I'm wondering a few things about getting it to sounds better/how I would like,
    First off, do all fretless' sound so bright?? It sounds really bright in a kind of bad way, should I try flatwounds instead?
    Both the thickest and the thinnest strings seem a lot louder than the middle 2, is this because of the cheap pickups in it?
    I had a problem with when I slapped the top string it would hit the pickup and make a **** muted clicky sound, but I put some tape over the metal bits of the pickup which seems to have solved it, is this the best way to fix that?
    and also, I experimented, in an attempt to stop it sounding so bright, I tuned it down (BEAD) and is it just me or do fretless' sound awesome for metal? I'm thinking about restringing it with the thickest 4 strings of a 5 string set, is this a good idea?? :)
    Thanks in advance :)

2. DionClassic

DionClassic

Hey, just a personal observation. The roundwounds with the single coil jazz pups will sound very bright... That's a jaco-type tone. I would suggest trying flats. Most fretless players use flats unless they're looking for a growly tone. Is it a maple board?

3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Fretless is for sure good for metal! A few different bands use fretless basses on a regular basis. Check out Omnipresent Perception by Beyond Creation for a good example.
    As for the popping sound, you may as well just lower your pickups. That will keep the string from hitting the pole.

4. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

If you're tuning down that low on a fretless, you may want to find the stiffest neck you can get for note articulation, which would probably be graphite.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-34

T-34

Lowering pickups will help with string-to string balance too, BTW.

7. FYFEYSFW

FYFEYSFW

Well I do love the growly tone for metal but the brightness when playing sometimes is a bit much, and yeah it's a maple board. I might experiment with lowering the pickups, but with the middle strings being as quiet as they are I wouldn't want to lower the output even more :\ Thanks for the input guys :)

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Adjustable pole pickups; DiMarzio DP-123:

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/dimarzio-model-j

Not sure if the bass is worth a PU upgrade, but these are ~$100 a pair and I dig how they sound on my '97 CIJ Jazz FL. You'd need to measure the current PUs; some Jazz sets are identical in size while others have one PU slightly longer than the other. You can buy two short or two long if your PUs are the same size.