Fretless bass: Squier or Cort B4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dweezilmeister, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Dweezilmeister

Dweezilmeister

Hi,

I got a VM Jazz squier bass as my first one and I am looking for a fretless.

I wanna be sure I can try it up, so I looked in the stores around in my town.

Besides the Squier Fretless I could get for 300$ and has good reviews, I found a Cort B4 fretless, but its a little more expensive :575$

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

But whatever

Vintage Modified fretless is completely different
    Agathis body and ebonol fingerboard... :confused: believe me: no:scowl:

Cort B4
    It's a little more expensive but it's way more for your bucks...
    Ash body, if I'm not mistaken, and three band active (import) Bartolini equalizer (with very useful on/off switch to disengage it) proficient Hipshot tuners and Gotoh himass bridge

They're both Indo basses, yet the QC and overall bass quality of the Cort slam that poor (other Squiers, like yours, are way better) Jaco's knockoff out.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

I'll throw my $0.02 in here: Wallace is correct regarding the Duncan-designed pickups in the Squier VM fretless; I have one and it is the one thing I will likely change in it. But otherwise, the quality is very good, and you can probably pick up a used one for around $200. Keep an eye on the TB Classifieds -- they pop up on a regular basis.

The Cort is going to be a higher-quality bass, both in terms of woods and electronics, thus the higher price. Play each and go with the one you like best.

4. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The ebonol fingerboard is actually something I like a lot. It has a very hard finish and sounds more similiar to an epoxied fretless neck than anything else will (short of an epoxy finish). If you want a warmer, more organic tone, I would look elsewhere. If you want a crisp attack with lots of mwah, I'd say its a good match.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dweezilmeister

Dweezilmeister

Sounds like I have to got try them up first, but from your input, I think its worth to go have a look at the Cort.

Thanks again

7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Sometimes, like in Indo Ibanez SR, it can bear some thin "air" in the conjunction
    I mean "space" (less than 1mm, in a european kinda mesasure)
    it's no issue... just difference in wood consistency between the full ash body and the five stripes laminate precise neck.

Don't get it as a defection, just appreciate the action and setup you could achieve with such proficient neck/fingerboard.

No, you won't be disappointed

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. MosGuy

MosGuy Gold Supporting Member

I have a VM jazz also the Cort B4 fretless. I haven't played the squier fretless, from what I've heard build quality can be hit & miss. For the price point they are hard to beat.

I assume your looking at the newer model with natural ash body. As Wallace320 mentioned it has Bartolini MK-1 pickups & EQ etc. The neck is wenge which is very nice. The slight downside to Corts: they don't hold re-sale value as well. Overall it's a high quality bass.

You should try both, they will sound different. The rosewood finger board of the Cort will have a warm tone. Also whether you prefer fret lines vs none.

Good luck with your fretless shopping.

9. That Sustain

That Sustain Banned

With $300. I'd buy a used Classic Vibe and yank the frets.

With $575 I'd look around for a used Fender American Standard..and yank the frets.

10. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

The Squire is not very good IMHO. If you can fine one, the Vintage (brand) VJ96MRP is a far better bass for similar (or less) money. The Cort is in a different league to both of them and is absolutely worth its price premium. Cort are severely underrated. They make some great instruments and also make most of the guitars/basses for many other brands including Ibanez, Schecter, Sterling by Musicman, Lakland Skyline Series, G&L Tribute series and many, many more. Get the Cort if your budget will stretch.