1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michelin97Bass, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

I am looking for a fretless bass... I have a budget of about $600... I play mainly Jazz & Funk stuff...
    So any suggestions?:)
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

Already equipped with proficient flatwound strings, lined rosewood fingerboard and an "ok-action" right away from its gigbag

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

That looks pretty good. I have been looking at a B-204SM-FL.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

D'you mean ESP/LTD bass?

In that case for sure buddy
    I just started from classical proposal to explore your tastes but everybody in here likes ESP/LTD supplies
    I do
    I own a Phoenix (a Thunderbird sibling) and brand new Anthrax's Frank Bello "Precision-wise" P/J signature model

They're very, very good

So if you're into "modern oriented" basses and sounds: Ibanez SR370 fretless
    Saving money (and brand new C.A.P. pickups and electronics aren't knockoffs) you can invest on chorus and reverb stomps to serve your newcomin' fretless sound.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

Oh okay. That sounds great!! I might have a play of all three... see how they feel..
    But thanks a lot for the help!
    What is your Phoenix like?
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

Sportin' dual humbucker with independent volumes, overall active tone (served by 9v battery) and unfortunately for me, for I always install them, lefty machineheads (reverse headstock) unallowing me to place my "trademark" bass extender on lowest string

A/Bin' with Epi Thunderbird Pro (active 2 band equalizer and himass bridge instead of passive soapbars and 3 pivots bridge) the bass is more focused with maybe less grunt to it, but lighter (basswood instead of mahogany) with 21 frets and an excellent fingerboard.

But I don't think it's what you're lookin' right now for, right?!?!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

Sounds so good! Yeah not for me right now... Maybe later though!
  8. Wallace320

Wallace320

The Epiphone Thunderbird Pro is the sunburst Pro IV one, no problem to reach for V one pitches 'cause I normally play full step downtuned (D, G, C, F) and installed Hipshot GB7 bass extender (C, G, C, F)
    View attachment 296607

View attachment 296608
    exactly what I couldn't do on ESP/LTD Phoenix for its reverse headstock

But I love'em both
    They're so different ad so similar at the very same time... and they're almost inexpensive too (more or less €. 400,00)

Cheers,
    Wallace
  9. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

Wow they look nice.
    So what is the tone like on yours?
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

Really a Precision bass wise sound, 'cause incredibly the two soapbars and maple (and walnut) neck all sum up a somelike bolt on+sweet spot split pickup approach in a way!

Then you can go different favoring one pickup or the other and enhancin' trebles, or lowend or both to scoop mids out
    IMG_1379.jpg
    Different beast the Phoenix
    You have a Jazz bass configuration (V, V, T) right, but apart from this, pair of humbuckers, active tone control and maple neck with basswood wings?
    The sound is one of the most hi-fi (talking about an affordable MIC instrument) I ever came across

Put the two of them together and you could add a third one, whichever you want, and still you're below Gibson Thunderbird street price

Life can be strange!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  11. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

NIce!!! So good!!! I am checking some out today. HOpefully I will find something good!!
  12. Wallace320

Wallace320

But... Weren't you lookin' for a fretless?

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: checkin' your profile I saw you're lookin' for a Squier Vintage Modified fretless Jazz. Don't do that: it's not the instrument gettin' you caught into fretless...
    Agathis body, one piece maple neck, warped more often than not and with poor Duncan Designed single coils pickups.

PPS: pay attention to "Marcus Miller" in your influences. You wrote it with capitol "A" exactly as initial "M".
  13. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

Yeah I mean I am checking some fretless basses out today.
  14. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

I have one... Excellent bass.

[​IMG]
  15. atomicdog

atomicdog

16. atomicdog

atomicdog

That Ltd. B-204SM-FL looks sweet. Active? Are those EMGs?
  17. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Yes it's active. The pups are ESP SB-4s.. EMG clones I'm guessing.
  18. girlonbass

girlonbass

One of my favourite basses is my Godin A4 fretless. Ebony fingerboard, flatwounds and piezo with a chambered body. I've gigged with this one quite a bit and I love the sound. If you're looking for upright sound. This maybe as close as you get while staying horizontal. Retail is about $1200 but I've seen them on ebay for about $700.

[​IMG]

Terri
  19. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

Thanks a lot for all the help. I am heading to my local shop today to have a play around see what I like.
  20. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Used Lakland Skyline. You will love it. Be patient and wait on one of these. I bought a 55-02 used with a case for $500 on eVilbay. 55-01 fretless used will go cheaper. Try to find an older Korean one.