Fretless Basses????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonners98, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jonners98

jonners98

my next considered buy is a relatively cheap fretless bass, not over £275. I have no experience with fretless basses, so could anyone point me in the right direction? p or j or otherwise? gotta admit ive been tempted by a £300 squier j bass, but thats just jacos influence ;)
  2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

IMO better choice is the ESP/LTD 214 P/J @ around 379 American on line.
  3. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Ibanez makes some nice fretless basses, actually. Squiers are also good. Pickup configuration depends entirely on what YOU want to play. Jaco? Get that J.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you go for the Squier VM fretless, do not buy one sight unseen. Every single one I have seen does not have the neck radiused after the fret lines were installed, so you essentially have little frets that prevent any kind of decent setup unless you re-radius the neck yourself. Apparently some people got ones smooth from factory but I have personally never seen one and I have played about 10 or so of them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. strost

strost

Squier fretless Js are a great place to start. They have a fretless P now too which some folks think is odd (most think of Js when they think fretless) but I dig 'em.

here is a clip of the P

But I'd get a jazz if I were you.
  7. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    That Squier is what I'd recommend.
  8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Agree. I love an Ibby but for Jaco, get that Squer J. Ibby tone will be fatter and rounder.
  9. jonners98

jonners98

Love Jaco, but tbh I would want to use it for a wide variety of things as well - I'd use it for recording in an "acoustic" mix as opposed to an acoustic bass - this mix would have acoustic guitar, ukulele, vocals and cajon (box drum)
  10. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

+1 I have the 5 string model and think that it's definitely full bang for the buck (looks great too!). I put D'Addario nylon tapewounds on mine and it sounds even better! $420Cdn. Looked at the post after and realized that mine is a different bass from the poster I quoted. Mine is an ESP LTD B205 SMFl. Either this one or the posters, LTDs are well priced quality instruments!

Attached Files:

11. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

The 214 he is talking about is very different from yours. It is a P/J with an unlined fretless board that is rosewood.
  12. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

^truedat!