1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless CS4

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by CaptainWally, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

2. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Wally, it's not only finished, but it's already on the way to San Diego! It shipped out yesterday!!!

:hyper:
  3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I have had more than a few basses over the years - fretted and fretless - and I don't think there's a better value than the Standard/Standard Plus basses from Roscoe. I love my Standard Plus fretless 5.

The thing that impresses/amazes me really, is that my Standard basses are made in the same shop, using basically the same materials, and hand finished by the same people that build the Signature basses.

I liked Roscoe before, but my visit/tour of the shop in NC this past summer "sealed the deal" for me. I doubt I'll play anything else. Thankfully for my bank account, I prefer the look and feel of the "standard" series so I can more easily "afford" my Roscoe habit.
  4. JOME77

JOME77

Congrats Capt. Wally!

You're going to love the mwah and growl of that bass!
  5. CaptainWally

Thanks! I've noticed you've been a Roscoe fan for quite a while, and your comments were certainly an input.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Completely agree!
  7. JOME77

JOME77

Hopefully my comments were helpful and not confusing. I do tend to talk in circles at times! :D

And yeah, I've been a Roscoehead for many years now (17).

Let us know what you think of the fretless when it arrives. It just doesn't get any better (fretless or fretted). :)
  8. CaptainWally

No confusion. Comments from both you are Steve C. are insightful and cogent. :)

Kind of interesting that I once bought a Modulus Q5 Fretless from Steve C. a long time ago. That was an outstanding intrument, but I definitely didn't have the chops for fretless at that point. Plus 5 strings and 35" just isn't my bag it seems.

Jome77, I bought an Alembic preamp from you many moons ago. Not sure if you remember.

Good times! :)

Gard, question for you. I see from the pictures that my CS4 has 4 bolts on the neck. Is that something new? I always was curious about the 3 bolt design, but the overwhelming word around here is that it was very stable.

P.S. I think it lands @ Bass SD today!
  9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Wow, that was a while ago. That was back when I had a pair of fretted/fretless Q5's. Thought they'd be my last basses. I think the pair of Roscoe's has a better chance.
  10. CaptainWally

I picked it up yesterday.

7 lbs. and 2 ounces of fretless greatness.

Flawlessly crafted. I love the diamond wood, which I find very similar to Zon's phenowood.

Mwah for days. The tonal controls create all kinds of different sounds. I think the nice, light swamp ash body gives it a resonate quality that sounds a little "woody", maybe someone between a Zon and F-Bass.

Now I just to need some fretless chops to go with it. :bassist:
  11. JOME77

JOME77

Sure I remember you Wally! We've spoken several times on the TB forums. I think that you bought my 4th Alembic F1-X! :D
    It's always been a love/hate relationship with me and those preamps. I love the way those pre's sound in my music room and but I could just never get my sound in a live gig with them.

Glad to hear that the Roscoe arrived and your first impressions are good. Incredible weight too!
    Let us know how you bond with it.
  12. CaptainWally

Cheers! Yeah, I think the F1-X has the potential to get lost in the mix a bit. The preamp thing seems almost historical at this point, doesn't it?

13. jibreel

jibreel

What a beauty !! Now if you just move the neck pickup down, you will be good to go !!! LOVE mine !! Both Friday and Saturday gigs were great !

[​IMG]
  14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I've said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. I love the flexibility of my fretless. I can get some serious mwah if I want in parts if tunes, and if I want, almost a fretted clank with the right touch in another - all without changing basses.

I joke about it a bit, but I'm curious as to how much I'll use the fretted when I get it. At first I got the fretless to hold me over until the fretted was built (and I wanted a fretless around - just in case) but I have really grown to appreciate all the things a fretless can do.