Fretless Epoxy Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Junior Shark, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

So I've got a new fretless bass, and I'm looking into coating the fretboard with epoxy, à la Jaco. I'm a little hesitant about doing it myself, but I'm still considering that option.

If anyone could me in a good direction to go for this, à la HG Thor, the help would be much appreciated.

If any of you Colorado bassists have had this done locally, please please give me the details! I'm in the Springs, so hopefully I can get it done somewhere on the Front Range.

Or, if anyone has some reassurance on the DIY approach, reassure on!

Your help is appreciated, and thanks!

2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

3. Davo-London

Davo-London

I had my Jaco Jazz signature bass epoxy'd with HG Thor. He did an amazing job and I've been very happy with the results. I wouldn't do it myself. I don't mind doing most things but I wouldn't attempt to do that. There's no way I would get as good a finish as Harris!

Davo

4. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Ya, I've already checked out HG Thor. I'm sure he does a stellar job, but I'm not really into waiting for 4 years just to have my fingerboard epoxied! Is there anything else like HG Thor, but without the 4-year wait?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

in for answer to this!

7. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Hey, I'm with ya brah.

8. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

So nobody's got any insight into this issue?

9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Luthier's Corner will have better advice for you.

10. Freightshaker

Freightshaker

IIRC, I thought Jaco used the inexpensive boat epoxy that can now be found in the auto section at walmart. I would recommend getting a radiused sanding block from Stew-Mac.

11. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

This is good advice. Anyone else?

12. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Michael Dolan does a very good job at coating fretless boards, he's in Northern CA and this is his website with contact info.
    http://www.dolanguitars.com/

13. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Kool kool! Now this is the sort of stuff I've been looking for! What else is out there?

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I regards to HG Thor. I've heard his wait is now 3-4 years.
    I'm waiting for my second bass for HG to do.
    Got about 6 months to go. It's a crazy long time. But the end result is worth it. His work is amazing.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You can cut the line if you have the cash. My Jaco artist was allegedly done by him but I bought the bass secondhand so I suppose anybody could have really done it.

There is a local guy in my region who builds guitars, I hear he has done epoxy jobs for people. I am sure there has to be somebody somewhat close that will do it for you.

16. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

I had a local guitar repair shop do it and they did a great job. I was having some other work done and just asked if they knew anything about coating the fingerboard of a fretless. I would never do this myself unless I wanted to ruin my bass's finger board and neck.

17. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

18. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Ya I had already looked into that guy. Seems pretty legit. I've been emailing him, and he says he won't be doing any epoxy jobs until spring though. Bummer. But spring's almost here..... ;)

19. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

There's not much of that around here in good ol' Colorado, I'm afraid. I've been running around looking for a guitar & bass repair shop, but there ain't too much other than GC. Unless another Coloradan knows otherwise....

20. Apolicious

Apolicious

ehhh... if you search the forums here you'll find a thread (I think it was called BUZZARD BASS - BAD NEWS) where quite a few people complained that he's basically a psychopath, and then he joined in and proved it.

Anyways, there are plenty of guides online as to how to epoxy-coat your fretboard. If you really can't find someone nearby to do it, or someone online with a waitlist of less than six months, you may want to buy a scrap neck from CL or the nearest trash pawn shop. It could be a fun learning experience! Plus, you'll have a very valuable skill under your belt. If it doesn't work out, then go ahead and send it off to someone else.

21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Don't look in the phonebook for repair shops, ask around. The couple guys I know of in my region all are not listed and all but one work out of their basement. If there are any manufacturers in your area try contacting them. I was referred to a guy for tech work by the guys at Fury guitars.