1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless for 3 years, should I bother getting a fretted?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joegrant413, Nov 16, 2012.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413

I'm thinking of buying myself for Christmas either:

- a fretted bass

- an Ableton Live upgrade

- a reasonably good MIDI keyboard

I've been playing for over 3 years. Started on a 4 string fretted Ibanez SR300, traded that after a few months for a 5 string fretless Ibanez SR35 (?? model?).

Part of me says I should get a fretted 4 string. IMHO, that could let me move even faster on the fretboard. And would give me a few more tones. Also, don't ever see myself doing a lot of slap bass, but maybe some mild slap stuff, like John Taylor. I'm thinking of a 4 string Ibanez SR500. (I tried a bunch of basses one day, and my hands just like Ibanez.)

Honestly, things are going well with me and the 5 string fretless. I play in a praise band, and it's been working out well.

The Ableton Live upgrade would be to the Standard Suite, and later to Live 9. The keyboard would be to learn more keyboards, something that's on my "bucket" list as a musician.

Hey... Black Friday is basically here. What do you think?

Cheers,
    -- Joe
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

You don't need any more basses. Use the money to buy coffee.

-Mike
  3. fraublugher

fraublugher

You don't need a fretted unless you need a fretted.

With the info provided in your post it looks like you don't need it.

But if you research this forum and find a good quality cheap bass you might be able to kill two birds with one stone .
    good luck and gas be with you :)
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

You also may want to have your thread moved to the basses forum, especially today. TBOT gets a little wild anyway, and Friday just amplifies it. We may end up talking about pork rolls or Ovaltine after a few more posts.

-Mike
  5. joegrant413

joegrant413

Thanks for the replies!

FWIW, I put the topic in this forum because honestly I could see myself buying keyboard or software. So it's not just about the bass, it's about what would make sense to buy as a musician for myself for Christmas.
  6. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

get a good used fender precision....every bass player needs at least one precision

[​IMG]
  7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I'm gonna say a keyboard. Seems like you're happy with your bass. If you need to upgrade your recording, that's cool. A keyboard would be a more multi-purpose purchase. You could use it for recording. You will become a better musician with some keyboard skills. Theory and harmony can sometimes make more sense on a keyboard instead of a fingerboard.
  8. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Frets do not improve speed on the fretboard. They are little tiny speed bumps.

I find them very handy for playing chords, but other than that I think it's a wash.

I like Lonesomedave's idea. Get a P bass with frets, and play around with different types of strings.
  9. joegrant413

joegrant413

Hmmm... I don't really see a big need to play chords easier on the bass.
  10. nutso42

nutso42

Whoops, I thought I was in Off Topic...

:bag:
  11. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

No, we don't.
  12. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

+1

Only get a fretted bass if you really need it or want it. I don't play fretted bass anymore. I have one but I haven't touched it in many months and only keep it around if by chance I need it for studio work or I get the motivation to dive further into slapping and tapping. I can do both on fretless but slapping isn't as punchy and tapping is effing hard.
  13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Midi or vintage analog keys
  14. joegrant413

joegrant413

So how can I move this topic?
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

It's where it belongs right now.
  16. chef wong

chef wong

I think every fretless bass guitarist should play fretted..at least every once in a while. The whole intonation thing...
  17. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

Frets? Aren't those on guitars?

Get a keyboard that meets your needs. Taking up a new instrument is always a good thing. Can help in your recording as well.
  18. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Intonation should be part of ear training, you don't need frets for that .
  20. joegrant413

joegrant413

I'm leaning towards a MIDI keyboard. Probably a M-audio oxygen 61. IMHO, The feedback I'm getting is telling me a fretted bass isn't really all that necessary. The biggest benefit I would see would be to get some different tones.