1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudi8, Feb 9, 2013.

1. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

Hi!
    i have a fretless jazz bass equipped with DiMarzio Noiseless pickups and i thought of upgrade the pickups to one of these:
    Nordstrand NJ4
    EMG JV-X
    Delano JMVC-4 FE M2

im looking for the jaco growl
    what do you think???

Thanks!
  2. Lackey

Lackey

I have the DiMarzio Model Js in my fretless, you cannot go wrong with them IMO. Growl and low mids for days..
  3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

The EMG JVX are awesome based on this review from Ed Friedland and very versatile.

:)
  4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh

5. Davo-London

Davo-London

Folks

I'm in a similar mood.

I have a MIJ Jaco Jazz and have had the neck epoxy'd.

I have NJ4SE pickups and an Audere Pre-amp. Otherwise it's stock!!!! : )

Anyways, I'm still getting a slight phased sound from this set-up, which I don't like and I really only ever use the bridge pickup so my Audere is a bit overkill (I wanted a blend).

I want the purest Jaco tone possible, I'm thinking of ditching the Audere going back to passive and installing NJ4s or SD Antiquity IIs. I hear hand-wound and overwound give the best antique sounding PUs plus there's loads of boutique pickup makers out there and it's difficult to choose. I don't mind trying a few.

Cheers
    Davo
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I also have the js in my fretless, coupled with the John East Retro J preamp and tapewounds-wow.

Perhaps consider the preamp-very versatile and passive selectable.