Fretless Metal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 456Spectwick, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

I have yet to see anyone mention this band or style of music. Sooooooo Opinions?

:bassist:
  2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Not a huge fan of technical death metal (actually, not a fan at all), but right up until the growler started growling I was sold. Don't think I've ever seen techdeath involving tapping on a fretless bass. Rather impressive, and a good sound.
  3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

really?

Sort of cool seeing a fretless used this way... The singing (if it can be called that) turns me off. Good playing though.
  4. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Yeah I'm not really a fan of the looooong drawn out shred fest or the monotone death vocals but I found the playing interesting enough to hear the whole song.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Hobo of Oz

The Hobo of Oz

I really don't like the growling, but the bass parts are really cool! Fade by Aghora is also a song with some fretless bass, I preffer that one because noone growls in it, haha! :)
  7. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

I've heard:

Sean Malone
    Jeroen Thesseling
    Joe Lester
    Robin Zielhorst
    Steve DiGiorgio
    Forest LaPointe
    The guys in Opeth (sometimes)
    The dude in Porcupine Tree (sometimes)
    Lars Norberg

Anybody know of any other predominantly fretless players in metal? Particularly interested in black and doom metal.
  8. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Of course, you can't have a thread on this subject without posting *the* defining moment of fretless bass in metal :

I'm also a big fan of Sean Malone's playing on Cynic's "Focus"
  9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Yeah Beyond Creation is something and a band from my City.

This is the bass player :
  10. edpal

edpal The hell you say!? Gold Supporting Member

I thought the fretless tones were cool within that genre but generally felt the tapping and much of the bass player's other hand movements were strictly for show and the camera. Within that type of a heavy overall sonic wave tapping on a fretless with the inherently faster note decay seems a little pointless. To me. Tapping solos are kind of cool. I like tapping where I get to pull off something that would otherwise require 3 arms.
  11. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I love playing fretless in metal. I just posted a track from the late 90s where I used my 6-string Aria Pro II Avante. I'm debating whether to resurrect this bass currently. The pickups and pre-amp in it are inferior so I stopped using it.

This is nothing like Forest LaPointe, but the solo section is really fun!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  12. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

Surprised that Linus Klausenitzer from Obscura hasn't been mentioned.
  13. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

That was good. Would listen again.
  14. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Great player, but the music is a little too 'polished' or 'pretty' for my tastes when it comes to death metal. To me, the ultimate fretless death metal bass playing has to be this:
  15. beebassdude

beebassdude

Death had the big time fretless player. i personally think it sounds awful and silly and detracts from the music, but the guy can play. had he played that stuff on a fretted it would have been awesome, instead all his lines are honked all over the place with goofy slides haha.
  16. jon36992002

jon36992002

Flavius Misarăș from Dor De Duh is pretty frequent fretless player

17. jon36992002

jon36992002

Also, Forest is awesome and has been a major inspiration in my fretless playing. His tone in that video is straight Jaco IMO.
  18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I've seen that video a couple of times, nice stuff they've got.

I think they are (heavily) influenced by Obscura. Their ex-bassist, Jeroen Paul Thesseling, is a pioneer of the fretless metal bass players.
  19. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I couldn't disagree more! I love Steve's playing, and I think Individual Thought Patterns sounds superior to Human in large part because the bass is mixed higher...
  20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Funny I'm your opposite. Fretted bass has a tendency to disapear because they put to much overdirve/distortion and copy the guitar line. At least this guy can be heard and quite well and he also do some arrangement which add a lot to the music instead of two lines or just a wall where eveyrone play the same thing like Cannibalcorpse
  21. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

Thank you for this! I love Negura Bunget and totally forgot that this project existed.