1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless neck questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Levin, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Levin

Levin

Hi!
    Was thinking of switching my neck of my Fender Am. Standard from the mid 90s somewhen to a fretless and thought of buying a real nice one custom-made at Warmoth and let a friend of mine who is a great luthier assemble it onto the bass.

I pondered about either getting a wenge for the shaftwood and Pau Ferro for the fingerboard, as I want a really warm sound, without losing to much articulation.

But your experience is greater so I figured I'd hear a lof of people here out first!

What have you done? What would you recommend?

I have a warwick fortress flashback with a wenge fingerboard that I love the sound of, and love playing it, and I love ebony fingerboards too. However the Pao Ferro seems to be... somehow what I seek.

But hear me out and suggest what I should get, please! :D

As I only will be buying the (lined) fretless neck I'm not very picky if it's pricey, it's probably not gonna be a lot of money anyway.

And yes I know the body is the larger part of the sound, and the pickups, and construction, and the luthiers skill and so on... just to everyone who maybe would like to point that out first. :p

Sorry for my bad english, am looking forward to your thoughts.