Fretless neck shaving

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassahaulic, Dec 2, 2013.

1. bassahaulic

bassahaulic

I recently got a new fretless bass guitar, and I don't really like the way the finish on the neck feels. Is there a way I could sand it to the natural wood and it have the same or better tone with a different feel?

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Do you mean fingerboard or neck? What are the fingerboard/neck woods?

If you mean the back of the neck, I've taken sandpaper (150 then 600) followed by 0000 steel wool and tung oil to remove the sticky gloss feel (but still retaining some of the varnish/laquer) and the satiny results are fantastic. FYI, that's about 10-15 seconds of 150 grit, 1-2 minutes of 600 (you'll need a few pieces of 600 since it will clog up quickly), and 2-4 minutes of 0000 w/ the tung oil. A light touch is required, especially w/ the 150-grit; not so much with the 0000 steel wool (and put tape over your pickup magnets when using the steel wool!).

If you mean fingerboard, then it's best left to a professional. On fretless, any low spot will cause unwanted buzz on certain notes and as you try to fix it, you just get yourself deeper and deeper into trouble.