1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless P basses under $350?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pocketgroove, Nov 22, 2012.

1. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I have the option to get a bass for Christmas, probably roughly around the $300 to $350 max mark. I was initially looking at the Squier '77 jazz, then the Chris Aiken P, not because I know anything about the guy but because it's a pretty cool bass.

However, I want to make sure I get something I'll play. Another jazz probably won't get much play time, and so far as a P, my main bass tends to keep other Precisions from getting much attention. I don't have a fretless but I think I would use it, especially since it's completely different from my other basses.

Now the question: what are some options for fretless Precision style basses under $350? My only real criteria are that it must have a P pickup, and the Precision neck width. For the record, my local CL doesn't have much to offer, so I'm thinking more along the lines of new, GC used, or the classifieds here.

So, what've you got?

Thanks!
  2. atomicdog

atomicdog

I don't know of any. You can pick up the fretless Squier Jazz Bass for around that price, or a better Fender MIM standard fretless jazz bass for a couple of hundred more (worth it). But the fretless P is elusive.
  3. soulman969

soulman969

I think you may be out of luck in that price range. The only thing Fender has to offer in that price range is the Squier Fretless Jazz. Their Fretless PBass is a Tony Franklin that runs $1600.

Here's a list of those offered by MF but there isn't much else in your price range but that Squier and a couple of others which probably aren't all that much like a PBass.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=fretless basses
  4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  5. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

Rondo had some at one point, but I haven't checked lately.

Roy beat me to it:)
  6. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Awesome, thanks! That's cheap enough that I can dabble in fretless to see if I like it.
  7. neebs

neebs

Do you already own a precision bass?

If so, I say buy a fretless neck. That would be the cheapest option.

If not, buy a rondo fretless bass. I would probably upgrade the pups in those and give it a good setup (like any instrument).

At that price range.. it's almost a waste of money to go and 'compile' a fretless bass. Just wait for a used one to show up in that price range. I ran into two fretless basses, I wish I had over my own. A fretless jaguar bass(exactly like what I own now, except HALF the price.) and a MIM Fretless Precision Special in forest green, that costed exactly what I paid for my current bass, after I 'compiled' together my bass body and neck.

Just keep your eyes open, and go to your local music stores. Definitely keep an eye open on the trade forum though!
  8. Shandiesel

Shandiesel

Hey there,
    I have one I built for just under $300 - with about $1000 worth of old parts. Have a look at this beast. Built this back in the early 90s.
    Plays like a champ with the customer neck and EMGs.

PS I'm replacing the pick guard... it is terrible. :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  9. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I have two Precisions (not Fender), but I'm not willing to convert either. However, at Rondo's price, what is there to lose?
  10. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I was lucky enought to get this for 400 plus tax... I'd be on the lookout for one...

[​IMG]

Put a set of black nylon tapewounds and it sings.
  11. neebs

neebs

You should fix your string windings on your E string.

I get ocd about funky wrapped strings on bass/guitar! It makes me cry on the inside everytime I see it! :ninja:
  12. neebs

neebs

Exactly my point. From the rep I've heard people give them, I'd be willing to shelve out the 150ish$ it would cost have it at my door.

But I have no need to, considering my fretless is a workdog.
  13. Shandiesel

Shandiesel

I broke that one two weeks ago at a drunken jam night.. I had to replace it with an already used string I had in the bottom of my gearbox... It works for now.
  14. neebs

neebs

I mean... the windings are all ontop of themselves. It doesn't rattle or anything?
  15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Is that just a MIM Fender, or something else? It's beautiful. I would definitely prefer rosewood over maple if possible, though I can't balk at the price on the Rondo.

So...does anyone have any ideas on how to fix that terrible Rondo headstock?
  16. neebs

neebs

You leave the headstock! It is what it is. I actually don't mind them. They remind me of a sammick headstock.
    [​IMG]
  17. Shandiesel

Shandiesel

No rattle, just worked out fine.
    The bass is killer. It has such a sweet sound. I played it for a longtime and had trouble adjusting back to frets when I started playing gigs.
  18. neebs

neebs

I thought it was a mim precision special, but it's actually a mij jazz special.. It was in forest green, and a chip of paint off towards the bridge edge.. It was all sexy glory.
    Whoever owns this bass, I envy you. I saw this bass at a guitar center for 400$ I wanted it so bad.
    [​IMG]
  19. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I'm standing right on the edge of ordering...any reasons why I should/should not? Also, does anyone know if standard Squier or MIM pickguards are a direct fit?
  20. neebs

neebs

I would hold out... seriously. Gems pop out of nowhere, but it's waiting for them that make you hurt! I cringe everytime I think of that mij jazz bass, with the precision pickup. It was the bass that got away.

The price of those rondo basses are always the same. The gem fretless you will find.. is an undefined number. better to have the skrill when you find a gem, that not have it and hurt on the inside every time you think of it.

But on the other hand, if you got the tokens. That douglass bass will definitely take away your itch.