1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless PJ vs JJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Dec 10, 2013.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

Any thoughts?
  2. 6stringvince

Also any preference in pickup choices between the two, keeping in mind it's for fretless. Two current considerations are EMG, and Bartolini (not sure of the models though)..
  3. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

P rolled down to 8, J pickup on full, for fretless.
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

Context? Thoughts? Punk? Metal? Jaco?
  5. 6stringvince

Mostly jazz, funk, fusion
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Yeah, it really depends on what you're going for... Truthfully, I used to be a huge fan of the PJ configuration, but I don't think I'll buy another bass with a P pickup. The split coil pickups are not even enough in relation to the length from the bridge to the pickups.

I have one JJ fretless now, that I'm eventually put the roundest-sounding humbucking jazz pickups I can find and slap from flats on it. I'll then buy another JJ fretless with the meanest, sharpest single coils I can find and put rounds on it.

edit to add: The PJ can work well and does for most people, I'd highly recommend going with the reverse P pickup though if you want to go that route. I have one PJ with the traditional P placement, and the D and G strings are much more twangier in comparison with the warmer E and A strings. The reverse P balances this out a bit more I find.
  7. The Nameless

The Nameless

Heh... I just went thru this deliberation myself. I been on the hunt for a fretless lately. Had a sound in my head I was goin after. I'm a single coil guy, tho the tone I was after was essentially Tony Franklin's. I play heavy styles of music, and the biggest issue for me on fretless was articulation an attack from a fretless. I've always had a love hate relationship wit emg... Love em at home, deTEST them onstage. But, on a random deal I acquired a Warmoth fretless jazz wit emg 35P pickups in both positions, and it is simply SLAYing. That being said, I'd recommend these not for the tone I'm gettin, but for the versatility. I can install two Ps, two J style, two DCs, or any combination. The "no solder" connections make it an easy swap, an I'm havin a lot of luck wit these particular EMGs, run passive. Power, thickness, articulation. The downside is an untraditional look. But that's a fair trade to me for the versatility this system provides me.
  8. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

The PJ fretless sounds pretty good on the Graceland album.
  9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    My "to the grave" bass has EMG PJ pups, and I'm having a fretless 4 built with the same setup. For me, it is the ideal solution, and far better than dual coils or a pair of single coils but YMMV.
  10. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

14 jazz pups for all situations
  11. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

I've been meaning to ask you....
    which strings do you use with it?
    Which mode do you run it in the most - Passive or active?
  12. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Tell me more! I got a fretted bass with emg soap J's and been considering putting in emg P's in stead.