fretless Sadowsky or Pedulla ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by asbs, Apr 30, 2012.

1. asbs

asbs Supporting Member

This is the picture :

I looking for a fretless bass and those two names sit on the top of my list.

Standart 24 frets Sadowsky or Penta Buzz.
    P/J pick ups.

I know there is not a better bass than the other, but two differents hights end basses with differents caracters.

I already have a fretted Sadowsky and it is my favorite bass so far.
    But I never tried a fretless one and never listened one also.

I like Mark Egan'sound.
    Never try a Pedulla.

I live in France, and no dealers for this brand.

I play jazz at 90% of my time.

Does any one had the experience of those two basses ?
    Any point of comparaison is welcome.

Thank you !
  2. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

In my experience, fretless Sadowskys are not nearly as common. I loved the Pedulla buzz basses I've owned; I think that would be an easier to find (and maybe less expensive) option.
  3. Quackhead

Quackhead

If you like Mark Egan's sound, especially his older stuff, then a Pedulla is the way to go.
  4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I like sadowskys ...and always tell folks how great they are. But when it comes to fretless. Nothing beats a Pedulla...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

That's almost one of those coin tosses where you can't possibly lose...

I have way more experience playing Pedullas (used to work for a dealer) so I'm biased, but a Buzz is one of the finest fretless basses made. The choice is almost a no-brainer.

OTOH, a Sadowsky is a Sadowsky...plus you already own one, so you're familiar with it. So it's certainly not a bad choice if you go that way. Just a different choice.

Seriously, toss a coin. :)
  7. GM60466

GM60466

Buzz basses are great.
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Yep. It's as if the Pentabuzz was designed from the ground up for fretless use. You can get some very low action on the setup. And that ebanol synthetic fingerboard is just about the best in the business.... :cool:

MM
  9. Quackhead

Quackhead

Isn't it an ebony board with a polyurethane coating?

10. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yes.
    And the Pentabuzz is an INCREDIBLE fretless bass.
    That's how I would go, between those two.
  11. countrybassist

countrybassist

12. Lackey

Lackey

Not really fair for me to comment since I'm not much of a fan of Sadowskys to begin with... and I own neither, hehe..

But Pedulla rocks. I'm surprised they're not a bigger name than they are. The growly mids really work for fingerstyle playing in general, and they make a hell of a fretless.
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1 to this.
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I wanted, no, lusted for, a Pedulla Buzz for at least a decade, probably longer. Until I played one. It's a GREAT bass, wonderfully well made, extreme attention to details, beautiful, great sounding, etc. But just not what I want when I play a bass. It just didn't speak to me. Nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't for me.

So, my advice with a purchase like this is invest in the time and energy to get your hands on one before you commit. It could be the greatest thing in the world for you, or it could be a very expensive regret.

John
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I'd love to try a Pedulla but.. Can't afford it. Meantime I'm in love with a fretless 'ray...
  16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

I am basically a Sadowsky fan boy, and as far as I'm concerned my last MS 5 with Single coils was the one. Unfortunately I was forced due to finances to sell it. BUT, I've owned a couple of Buzzs and they were the REAL DEAL. The idea of a frettless version of one of Rogers masterpieces is intriguing if I had money to burn especially with an ebony board, and single coils. But if I had to have a Frettless tomorrow it would be a Pedula. I also see quite a few available used at decent prices. And for the record Mike Pedula (while running a smaller shop) is very much at Roger Sadowski's level when it comes to service for one of his fine basses.
  17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Having owned many Pedullas although no Buzzs, I can say they are absolutely one of the underrated basses on the market. Having said that, you can't beat a Sadowsky. Go with the Buzz, Mike has some extra mojo when it comes to fretless and lets face it, one of the big areas that set Roger apart is his fretwork...
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Here is another vote for the Pedulla. :bassist:
  19. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i have a buzz- i love the fingerboard and the tone-nothing beats a pedulla for fretless
  20. MixBass

MixBass

Disclosures:
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    For fretless between those 2 I choose a Pedulla. There is something special about the Pedulla fretless. Musicman is a great affordable option, a bit woodier to my ear. And of course a Wal if you have all the cash. For fretted I absolutely prefer a Sadowsky over a Pedulla though.
  21. AndroWal

AndroWal Supporting Member

Also consider a Zon 5...custom, special or TJ....wonderful fretlesses...

To hear the sounds...listen to Michael Manring....or search for zon fretless on youtube...

Bass Central has an ash-bodied Zon 5 for $2885.... http://www.basscentral.com/2003/zonbass.shtml ...just scroll-down to see it.