1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fretless Short Scale Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jags, Sep 5, 2011.

1. jags

jags

How about starting a Fretless Short Scale Club!! I searched for such a club I couldn't find one here at TalkBass. So if it's OK with the moderators we can start right here and now! :bassist:

Here are my two fretless short scales. A defretted Hondo Alien 31 inch scale:

[​IMG]

And my "Mio Tribute" 30 inch scale SX fretless short scale Jazz Bass:

[​IMG]

Visit This Thread to see the major electronics mod I did on this bass.

Ill be glad to keep track of the member numbers. Just post a photo of your Fretless Short Scale and you're in! So I guess that makes me #1!! :)

Let's see those Fretless Short Scales!

#1 - jags

2. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

You are taking on a big responsibility starting a new TB club. Like having a baby.

Guild B4CE Acoustic - 30.75" - Professionally defretted, and the back of neck brought to an oiled finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1980 Kramer Duke Fretless - 31"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jags

jags

Welcome RandyMolson! I guess this makes you the VP and if anything should happen to me....

Actually, I've never had any kids so this "baby" might be good for me!

Nice basses! I really like the unusual specimens. That acoustic looks great and you gotta love the Dukes! My Alien is great fun to play.

Thanks again! :cool:

#1 - jags
    #2 - RandyMolson

4. jags

jags

psssst... Randy, It's gotten very quiet here at the Fretless Short Scale Club. I wonder if we are the only 2 people on the planet with a couple of Fretless Short Scale Basses? There must be others out there.

If you're out there join the club!

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

Things are not looking good for the future of the Fretless Short Scale Club. :bawl:

Mayhap some bass players are embarassed to admit their boards are short. :meh:

7. Duplo42

Duplo42

I have one, short scale, defretted, 5 string. But i aint gonna show it, it's an ugly mofo...

8. acleex38

acleex38

My main player is a Birdsong fretless Cortocustom (Cortobass pickups, Fusion body). 31" scale. Not in a place where I can post pictures from right now, but I wanted to throw in my support for the club.

9. jags

jags

Randy, as we all know it's not the length that counts! However in this case I guess it does!

Duplo42, the uglier the better! It shows some character! I'll take your word for it so you're in! If you ain't gonna show it can you give us a detailed description? Especially being a 5 stringer?

acleex38, Thanks for the support! You're in! When you get a chance please post some pics. We would love to see what you got!

#1 - jags
    #2 - RandyMolson
    #3 - Duplo42
    #4 - acleex38

Thanks Again! :cool:

10. spade2you

spade2you

No need for me to join more clubs than I'm already in, but here are mine.

Rob Allen Mouse 30:

[​IMG]

Almost counts, but 32" scale. Cliff Bordwell 32" scale 7 string. Douglas fir top.

[​IMG]

11. jags

jags

spade2you, Very nice! I like the minimalist to maximumist approch! I really like the clean and simple Rob Allen Mouse 4 stringer and I have no idea how you can play that 7 stringer. I'll add you to the club if you don't mind as we need the members. Thanks!

#1 - jags
    #2 - RandyMolson
    #3 - Duplo42
    #4 - acleex38
    #5 - spade2you

12. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

13. jags

jags

etoncrow, Welcome to the club!! Please post some pics when you get the chance. Thanks!

#1 - jags
    #2 - RandyMolson
    #3 - Duplo42
    #4 - acleex38
    #5 - spade2you
    #6 - etoncrow

14. spade2you

spade2you

Having played 6 string for several years, it wasn't much of a stretch. Tuning it an octave below a 7 string guitar is slightly challenging since I'm used to playing my 6 strings in straight fourths. I did this tuning and 32" scale to allow me to use thicker strings in the upper register to have something a little less nasal sounding.

15. jags

jags

spade2you, I'm impressed! I can barely handle 4 strings! And it's such a beautiful instrument also. What about that Rob Allen Mouse? It's simply gorgeous! What's the story behind her? Especially since she is technically a true fretless short scale.

:cool:

16. spade2you

spade2you

The 7 is interesting. Adapting to the different tuning aside, I wouldn't say it's too difficult. To be honest, I find it easier playing the higher notes on the high strings in a lower position where the intonation is much more forgiving than up high.

Other than designing the integrated thumbrest due to lack of pickups, high grade koa top, and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, it's not that different from a stock RA. It was my main instrument several years ago when I was in a fusion/jam band trio.

17. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

18. jags

jags

etoncrow, Very nice! Seems like natural wood finish is very popular for these fretless short scales. They all look great!

RandyMolson, Thanks for bringing up that pic for etoncrow.

spade2you, So that's what that extended fretboard is for. A thumb rest. Brilliant idea! What does one of those set you back? If you ever want to sell it just let me know! ;)

19. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

I have 3 fretless short scale basses:

Landing 30" fretless P bass:

[​IMG]

Birdsong Cortobass fretless:

[​IMG]

Landing 30" L2 fretless:

[​IMG]

20. jags

jags

banditcosmo,

Nice basses and welcome to the club!

#1 - jags
    #2 - RandyMolson
    #3 - Duplo42
    #4 - acleex38
    #5 - spade2you
    #6 - etoncrow
    #7 - banditcosmo

21. Stefano50

Stefano50

Good morning all,
    I am looking to maybe slide into position #8 in the SSFC?
    I have a wonderful Rob Allen Mouse 30 currently on route to me right now!

These RA's are awesome in every way!
    Will post pictures on arrival