1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless Sixes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndthorpe1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ndthorpe1

ndthorpe1

I've been thinking about getting a fretless six string bass to play around on, but I have pretty specific needs if I'm gonna dish out the money. My budget is about 1300, and these are the requirements.

-I have small hands so I'd need a 34' scale
    -Has to be at least a six string
    -Good quality, I don't want anything cheap
    -Deep Cutaway, I like the upper frets

I've heard used Carvins are good, but where would I get one?

Any tips/suggestions?
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Check here for Carvins. There's no fretless sixers right now, but they often pop up.
    http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm
  3. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Warwick Corvette Bolt-on..

- Pro Series - Korean made.

You can pick up a used German model for $1k or less.
  4. nojj

nojj Guest

I have a Carvin 6: plays, looks, and sounds great.

Bear in mind the jack can go, I'm waiting for a replacement one for mine.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Used Carvin 6ers are great buys! But most use "barrel" jacks which are not known for reliability. There is no ultra-reliable brand of barrel jack you can buy. so just order a couple ahead of time and keep them in your bass case.
  6. Gaius46

Gaius46

This.

I've had one for a year. True love.
  7. wmheilma

wmheilma

I play a six string fretless that has a 16mm spacing at the bridge and a 34 inch scale. It was made by Chris Murphy of Boulder CO in the mid 1990's. It is similar to a neck through Warwick in construction. I still love to play it!

Just keep looking! You may find a reasonably priced hand made bass by a not so famous maker for a price you can afford. I know of a fiver that's for sale in Boulder made by Dave Enke.
  8. Joel Graham

Joel Graham I Brake for Basses! Supporting Member

I saw this lately... Maybe on the high side for the price but, it looks clean!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Soundgear-SR1306-6-String-Fretless-Bass-/321276898301?pt=Guitar&hash=item4acd986bfd

These guys can have some great tone! There's a 4, 5, and 6 string version...

Google Enke Basses... SWEET!!
  9. dabbler

dabbler

Please explain. If you want a 6er that plays and sounds well, I have a suggestion, but it is way under your budget and I don't know what you mean by "cheap" other than your budget.