Fretless tone with JJ pickups?

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by Squirefan01, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Squirefan01

Squirefan01 Supporting Member

Hey all,

I am looking for a fretless Roscoe 5-string. I think I will like the body size of the SKB. This is one that looks interesting to me:

http://www.premierbassguitars.com/roscoe-skb-3005-fretless/

I am just wondering about performance of the JJ pickups here vs. the larger Barts on most other Roscoes. Just looking for tons of Wahhhh tone :).

There are some other LG-3005s around but I just think that body style might be a bit small. I have an Alembic Essence that seems similar to the LG size and that is a little small for me.

Any comments on the JJ pups appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

2. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

IME, "Wahhhh" has next to nothing to do with electronics. It's much more of a technique and setup thing.

That said, the J's sound GREAT on a fretless bass, although my experience is limited to the 'JB' setup. Quantifying the difference between those and the soapbars is a bit difficult, since placement is different between those and either the JB or 60's J placement. The bass you're looking at is GORGEOUS...if you like a modern J bass sound, that one will no doubt knock off your socks.

3. Squirefan01

Thanks Jerry. It is a lovely bass. I see you are also a Lull guy. There is a nice M5 restless on the bay right now. Any opinions on Lull vs. Roscoe fretless?

Greg

4. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That bass just kills.

Really.

Yes, I'm biased, but with just cause. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Squirefan01- I just found this thread! I own 3 Roscoes and one is a fretless Century Standard 5 string with soap bars (Ash body with Maple neck and Diamondwood fb). You are more than welcome to play it, seeing as we are both on Cape Cod. Hit me up if you wish. I do have a SKB fretted 5 string with 60's Jazz pups that is stupid nasty sounding and playing, ya dig?

7. Squirefan01

Hi Gard,

It is gorgeous. I hope they still have it in stock!

Is there a description you could give on the sonic differences of the same fretless SKB that has soapbar vs. JJ pickups installed?

Thanks!

8. Squirefan01

Hey bip (Pete??)!

Small world. I am in Sandwich too! I know Dylan from when he taught at Score for awhile and my daughter was taking piano there. You guys sound like you play some cool styles. I'd love to catch you out sometime. Will keep track of you on FB.

Glad to know you love the J-style. I think I will be pulling trigger any hour now on this one if it's still available. Love the look of it!

-Greg

9. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    I believe they do still have it!

What I hear as a difference is that the JJ's are a bit more "focused" sounding - sorta the difference between a rifle and a shotgun: both do the job, just in somewhat different manners!

I'd take Pete up on his offer to check his basses out - his SKB with JJ's is the fretted version of the one you're looking at, actually!

:)

10. Bipslapper

No problem Greg. We are playing every weekend for a while - this Friday BBC Falmouth, then next week Hyannis, Harwich and then 1/26 BBC Sandwich. Dylan is one hell of a drummer and musician as are all the guys in the band. In the meantime, my office is in the Industrial Park and I have an amp there and can bring the fretless if you wish to come over some time and play it, or any/ all of my Roscoes! Hit me up with a PM or my cell: 508-958-5703. Best of luck, you can't go wrong with one of these.

11. Squirefan01

Well I seized the moment and just bought this bass. Should be here in a few days!

Pete, sounds like fun! I will defininitely swing by, probably after I get my Roscoe. I am walking distance from your office. Will be in touch!

Dan was a good guy to work with at Premier Bass Guitars in CO. Easy, quick transaction!

-Greg

12. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Welcome to the family!!!

:hyper:

13. Bipslapper

Sweet! Congrats on the purchase, hopefully I get to check it out in person at the office or wherever. We are next building to Score Music.

Good luck with the em wait & welcome to the family.

14. Squirefan01

I got this beauty today. Stunning! Incredible sustain. I am really glad I went with this body style. I think the LG may have been a bit small for my taste.

Proud new Roscoe owner!!

15. SteveC

SteveC

Congrats on a great bass. I've had my fretless Roscoe (Century Standard Plus 5, mahogany/maple with Diamondwood board and JB jazz pups) for a couple weeks and love it! Amazing to play, fantastic tone, easy on the eyes.

Welcome to the family. Be warned...one is not enough....

16. Bipslapper

Great News! Here is mine; kissing cousins I'd say:

[​IMG]

Let's have a "Play Date" with the two some time! Wishing you many years of fretless bliss.