1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretless vibrato - totally misunderstanding

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by warfare_noise, Nov 25, 2013.

1. warfare_noise

warfare_noise

Hello!

I ve got a some technique problems with vibrato on my fretless electric bass. First, I find that there is at least two different techniques to do that thing on the fretless - just check this guy

On the first video he just moving his finger around of the fretboard, the second - sliding a little between two notes.
    On my bass (fender am std fretless) if I doing that as the shown on the first video, I got very weak vibrato. The second way works very well, but here I get a lot more tension in my fretting hand which is not good.
    So, I totally not understand how to make a nice singing vibrato, I hope somebody can help me with. Instruction with photos will be very helpful.
  2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

A good vibrato starts in the elbow, moves the forearm, which move the hand through the wrist hinge, which is transferred as the hands for the fingers to control.

Look in the two videos again and look at how the elbow is used.....

Learn to move the elbow independent of the fingers and let it create the vibrato, rather than your fingers creating vibrato.
    There are certain situations where you can and will use your fingers for a lighter vibrato, or even a wider vibrato to your notes timbre.
    Again it needs practice and it needs development, so target the elbow movement first, see it as the 'rudder' that creates the vibrato and the fingers as controlling it. :)
  3. deckard

deckard

Suggestion:

go on the net & esp. YouTube and see if you can find "footage" of cello players like Yo-Yo Ma doing vibrato - this visual may help you begin to understand how to do it on fretless.

Watching some Michael Manring clips & observing how he does it would help, too.

IMHO, like a lot of things, seeing how others accomplish it will lead to a quicker grasp of the basic technique, as opposed to slogging through written descriptions & trying to make sense of 'em... aka "one picture worth a thousand words".
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
    For cello, but the concept is the same.