fretless, with no lines, $1000 price point

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Aloha TBers,
    I recently did a stint with my bass mentor jazz teacher. He "required" me to try an upright for a new perspective. Well, the lesson cycle ran its course. I learned a lot, but I realize that after all of these years, I prefer the bass guitar. However, the fretless thing really speaks to my desire for a tasty tone and feel. So, I'm looking to buy a fretless bass. The thing is, the ones that I have seen that hover around the $1000 price point have the lines painted on. I really want one with no lines. I'm not afraid to spend on a nice bass, and I know that there are more expensive ones (i.e. Pedulla P.B.-lines:rolleyes:). But, this will not be my main bass, so I don't have to have the best. Does anyone know of any, that they are happy with, or come highly recommended?

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Try picking up a MIM jazz and replacing the neck with an unlined fretless one. Used jazz basses are pretty cheap if you hold out for a deal. This will work with pretty much any fender bass, btw.

Otherwise I am of no help haha.

3. Carvin custom Bolt-on, Warwick Rockbass (new style), German Warwick used, most Deans, several from Rondo, any Fender with a custom Warmoth neck, Wishbass:)...

4. eee

eee

I bought a fretless Yamaha TRB5II off the classifieds here. 500 bux. It has wooden fretlines, but they're so faint that they're invisible from more than a few inches away. Really, REALLY nice bass for the cash.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

I recently played a friends fretless and was impressed. He had bought it about 3 months earlier.

It was a MIM Jazz with aftermarket pickups and a nice Warmoth fretless neck, unlined, rosewood board. It had position dots on the side of the fingerboard.

He did a couple of numbers with it on our last show, it was nice!

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I agree with the "Buy used and replace the neck" suggestion. I got a Warmoth and love it, but the price may scare you away. There are other manufactures out there, you'll just have to search. There's even a thread floating around about an all maple unlined fretless Jazz neck from China for about $100 or so that may float your boat.

If you do buy a neck, make sure that either
    a) You have them install the nut and finish the neck.
    b) You're good at woodworking and willing to learn the above.

And while inexpensive, Wishbasses usually need work to get them up to speed. It was probably suggested as a joke, but I wouldn't dismiss them. I love the idea, but I don't have access to a woodshop.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Find a use Fender "Tony Franklin Bass"
    They sell around $1000.00 used.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Used Carvin AC40F
    Mine: [​IMG]

10. millsbass5

millsbass5

I'd go with Carvin's SB Series. Great basses.

11. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Another vote for Carvin. In addition to some of their standard models, you can get one for only around half that price if you don't mind some assembly via one of their bass kits. I put together one of their five-string fretless kits and it works great.

12. ahc

ahc

Used Fender Tony Franklin fretless. No lines. Probably a bit over a grand, but not too much.

13. RocThrower

RocThrower

Are the side dots on the Warmoth fretless necks where the frets would be, or between them like on any other fretted neck? Been thinking about getting an unlined neck for my HWY1 Jazz.

14. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Japanese Fender fretless - they come with unlined ebony necks. Best bang for the buck, period...I've snagged two for between $200-$300.

15. lonote

lonote

I've also had 2 and liked them a lot. I currently have a fretless Eastwood EUB-1 that I positively adore: great sound and lightweight and well below a grand.

16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Here you go: Warmoth Fretless info

17. RocThrower

RocThrower

18. kreider204

kreider204

19. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Thanks team. Those Carvin catalogues that show up in the mail always seem to speak to me. I think that I will give them a look. Plus, I'm selling a Stu Ham sig. ABG in mint condish to finance. Any takers?

20. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

21. MyMusic

MyMusic