fretting about my fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Jan 1, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I don't really know which topic to post this in. I'll try to make it brief. Okay, so almost a month ago I won a used Squier jazz fretless bass, the sunburst "Jaco" model that goes for about $280 new. I made the Ebay store an offer of $200 flat and got it, for free shipping too. I was pretty stoked.

So, I paid for it on December 5th. I got an automatic message from Ebay saying the estimated delivery date was from the 12th to the 18th. A week+ of handling time seemed a bit much, but I figured my payment (via Paypal) hadn't been processed yet and that I should be patient. So I was. I was also really busy at work. So between one thing and another, suddenly it was the 20th and I decided to look up the Ebay store and try to find a phone number, since they are also a Store In Real Life (TM).

I called the real-life store and spoke with a real-life human being called Mike, who said, "Oh, I'm glad you called us. We went to find a box to pack your bass in and we couldn't find the bass. We think it got sold by accident."

Of course my first thought was, "HOW DO YOU LOSE A BASS?!" but ultimately I laughed it off to typical retail-environment chaos and suggested that they just send me a NEW sunburst Squier jazz fretless and that I'd just pay the difference, since I knew that was the bass I wanted and at this point, an extra $50-$80 seemed kinda trivial.

Mike checked with the manager and apparently got approval to send me a NEW sunburst Squier jazz fretless for the same price, and said they'd "try to" ship it out on the 26th. Rad.

Except that on the 28th, I still hadn't heard anything. So I sent a message via Ebay and still nothing.

It's now been almost a month and I still don't have my @#@#ing bass. I opened a dispute on Ebay. Apparently the seller has a week to respond. I feel sort of passive-aggressive doing such things, but this whole thing is really ridiculous. I went from being very excited about getting this bass, to just not even caring, because it's been such a headache and I'm so amazed that they could be so flaky.

What Would You Do? I would rather do everything in writing at this point instead of trying to have another phone conversation, because that way I'd be covered by Ebay/Paypal. I am not thrilled with their policies these days, but it's still better than having no leg to stand on at all. Do you think these guys ripped me off?
  2. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

:meh:Definitely! That's dodgy as!
  3. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Prob not ripped but that is bad business. I think you made the right move opening the dispute. I think you are pretty well protected and you will end up getting your situation rectified

Good luck
  4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Ugh. I just feel kinda violated, honestly. Here I was, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and be cool about things, and it seems they have completely screwed me over. I opened the dispute on the 29th...so the clock is ticking. I'll escalate it after that and demand my money back...enough already. I don't even feel like these guys are worth a phone call, because I just don't want to have that conversation.

The really sh#%%y thing is that I'm almost not even interested in owning a fretless right now because of this whole thing. It's just killed my enthusiasm somehow. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I'm kind of a fatalist when it comes to instrument purchases...it has to be special...it has to feel right. So when it doesn't, it just puts me off.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Get your money back and buy another fretless... Trust me, a fretted bass is fun, but a fretless bass has a lot more options and freedom. I only plan on purchasing fretlesses from now on.
  7. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Yeah...I mean, I still want one, but I don't want THAT exact bass from that seller. It just wouldn't have the right vibe. Does that make sense? Is that weird?
  8. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Of course that makes sense. I'd feel the same way.
  9. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

I know what you mean. I have a monogamous relationship with my instruments - only one bass, one ukulele. They have to be right. Lilah and I are going steady for 10 years now :p it's gotta feel right.
  10. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree. Business these days is often rather flakey even when they mean well and holidays I'm sure didn't help. So move to a dispute lights a fire under them and if by some chance you were getting ripped, gives you protection.
  11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Yeah...it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So of course now I'm wondering if I can change my dispute in Ebay and ask for my money back instead. Who's gotten burned on Ebay before, what happened, and how did you resolve it? How long did it take?
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you paid via paypal, open the dispute with paypal, as long as it is within 45 days. Almost all sellers take quick action once you open a paypal dispute. They generally want you to get your money back so you cannot leave bad feedback on their behalf.

I have had issues with ebay sellers before.

I also hope you didn't buy the Squier VM Jazz without having played one before, they all require work in my experience. I ordered mine off musicianfriend based on all the rave reviews, I was nothing short of disappointed. Once you put hours of man time into the bass it becomes playable, but you need to be comfortable re-radiusing a fretboard, shielding the pickups is child's play.
  13. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

You'll probably get it in the mail today.

Then what?

Hopefully you'll be shocked, love the bass and laugh about the experience.

Good luck.
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

It makes sense. Some people (and entire cultures) believe that eating a meal prepared by someone who is harboring bad "stuff" (for lack of a better term) passes the ill feelings on in the dish they serve.

That's why I'll never eat at Hell's Kitchen or other Ramsey establishment.:p
  15. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Well, they shipped it today. :shrug: I feel kinda weird but I think I just have to try it out at this point. I just...I'm either head over heels with an instrument, or not at all. With the exception of my Roland Alpha-Juno 1 synth...we are "just friends" but it works!

I've also got this hair up my @$$ about getting a Music Man. I am trying to be patient and hold out for "the one," but it's hard...

Sometimes I wish I could be the type of impartial musician who finds virtue in every instrument, but I'm pretty focused and particular when it comes to what I want. Unfortunately, being newer than some to bass, I'm also in kind of an impressionable phase...so, who knows!
  16. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

It finally arrived at work today! I guess I'll see how it feels. Hopefully after all this, I'll be happy!
  17. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member