1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fretting over a fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zegie, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Zegie

Zegie

Just wondering what surprises might be in store and what 'adjustments' I might have to make if I were to splash out on a fretless acoustic bass.

I've got a fretted acoustic and electric basses but never played a fretless in my life and thought "I've gotta give it a go - life's too short".
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Fretless does take a little time to get used to and some additional practice to deal with the intonation. It all depends on your current technique and ear training. Acoustic bass guitars don't really put out a lot of sound, be aware of that before you purchase.
  3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

To me, a big part of the "fretless thing" comes from a rigid, strong neck with a hard fingerboard and a solid body. Deviating from this will generally reduce sustain (give a more "thumpy" sound), make the sound less clear and defined (turn more "warm"/"wooly") and reduce upper harmonics (make it sound "bassier").

Since I personally find most use for a fretless in slow, melodic songs and playing small "counter phrases" (word?), I want good sustain, clear pitch and good mids.

For a more traditional "upright" feel, the fretless acoustic bass guitar might work OK, though. For more modern music, I'd pass.
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

I didn't find the adjustment terribly hard, but everyone's experience is different.

My two pieces of advice:
    Try some out before you buy if possible - especially if you can try some lined and some unlined to see which you like.

Start with an inexpensive fretless to find out if you like it before 'buying up' to a better one.
  5. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I think it really depends on your fretting hand control. For me I'm left handed and play right handed so the hand I write with is also the one on the neck. I didn't find picking up fret less hard at all. If you can play fretted decently without constantly staring at your fretting hand its really not that crazy. I'd definitely recommend starting with a bass that has fret lines or at least side markers where each fret/fret lines would be.