Fretting pinky finger soreness

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Jan 28, 2013.

1. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Hello,

My fretting pinky is sore between the second and third knuckles-towards the finger tip. I notice that if I make a fist with my fretting hand and then open my hand quickly my pinky is the slowest to extend - and it does so with some pain. Also, this same pinky is becoming more difficult to use for fretting. Has anybody heard of this ?
    Looking for some tips please.
  2. Play Less Cool

Play Less Cool

have you just started using your pinky more frequently?
    when i first started learning songs with alot of octaves like disco octave songs and some slap/pop octaves, my pinky hurt quite bad on all joints instead of the top one because it was so weak.

it does go away if you rest it for a while because the joints and stuff will heal stronger than it was before.
  3. Russell L

Russell L

The only time I had a joint ache was when playing upright. My middle joint on my pinky would go flat, which put a terrible strain on it, especially if it did it all of a sudden. Don't let yours do that. I'd say take a rest and see what it's like afterwards. Maybe you need to build some strength in small doses. Otherwise, maybe see an orthopedic doc and talk about it.