Friends in Snow Places

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JennySuzuki, Feb 12, 2014.

1. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

It's snowing here. It doesn't usually snow more than a couple of centimeters, about once a year, and it's generally gone the next day. Tonight's forcast is calling for 6-10 cm of accumulation.

It's amusing listening to my coworkers. You'd think they were afraid of their tauntauns dying before they reached the first marker! Meanwhile, I have candles, and quilts, and a pile of cheap, second-hand sci-fi novels ready to hand. I have a camping stove and tins of food... and I expect to use none of it except the pile of novels.

What do you do when you're expecting snow? Are you a "milk and bread" compulsive?

2. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

First I try to eat everything in the pantry.

3. Richland123

Richland123

I use up all the toilet paper the day before the storm so I have to run out and but 24 rolls since I won't be able to get back out to the store for 5 months. :rollno:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    JennySuzuki.....where are you located?

When we lived in New Hampshire, I would get the snow shovels ready, bring in a few extra loads of wood for the fireplace, and make sure safety supplies where in the vehicles we would be driving the next day. We usually had plenty of food in the house, so there wasn't much of a need to rush to the grocery store.

Here in Washington State, I don't do any of that. When it snows here, it's mostly gone within 24 hours usually. If it were to last longer, I'd do the same as above minus the wood part since we have a gas fireplace insert.

-Mike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

The roads iced over yesterday afternoon so I went and bought more beer. Today, the sun is shining and the ice is gone.

I have to admit, though, it was pretty alarming to go from having perfectly clear roads to having iced over roads within ten minutes! It happened while I was driving to a job only a mile away from my shop. All was fine when I left, but I pretty much slid into the driveway of the house I was doing the repair at. A mixture of sleet and snow basically got dumped on Shreveport all at once.

I bought beer and went straight home after that. I already had food there.

7. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

The South.

I live in a state with a constitutional ban on same-gender marriage. Why? Because my girlfriend likes her home town. But you can understand why I'm a little leary of tying my openly lesbian online identity to my closeted real world identity, so we won't narrow it down further than that, okie? Okie.

8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That's only 2 1/2" to 4" of snow. You'll be just fine, and be sure to have a camera.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No problem JennySuzuki. I wasn't looking for coordinates, so your answer is sufficient.

Folks in the South are generally unprepared since it happens so seldom, so I understand the concern. You may want to pick up some ice melt (for the porch/walkway/driveway) from your local hardware store and an emergency kit to put in your vehicles, then an extra blanket or two before you head out.

If you had some food items handy that did not require refrigeration or heat to prepare, that may help if you lose power.

-Mike

10. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Like I said, I have a camping stove and tinned food. I'm not actually expecting to need them, but I've got 'em.

Anyone got any good stories about "that one time when..."?

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Truthfully, there is always 5lbs of dry beans and rice in the pantry just in case.......

12. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I have a fancy-schmancy rice cooker, but it requires electricity. I actually am not sure I could cook rice with just a pot and heat... my grandmother would be so ashamed! :scowl:

13. elgecko

elgecko

Snow?! We haven't even had jacket weather in SoCal this season.

14. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Snowing like a mofo in Western Central Piedmont NC.

Another log or two on the fire and I expect we'll be OK.

15. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

In '93 we had more snow and ice than we knew what to do with in middle-TN. They LITERALLY closed Kentucky. My mom was down for the holidays, and a two day visit turned into eight because she couldn't get home (which pleased my now-Ex to no end :rollno: ). Seven of those days we were without power--a neighbor loaned us a kerosene heater, I ran the gas grill in the carport, and we ate through the freezer stock.
    These days--over East, now--a fully stocked liquor cabinet does a halfway decent job of chasing away the cold, but we do have emergency plans for the animals before warming ourselves. :)
    And acoustic instruments. :bassist:
    No rushing out for milk or AW here.

16. Schlyder

Schlyder

Days of snow on the ground this winter, so far :

I am expecting at least another 60 - 75 days of snow on the ground here.

17. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

In 93 in Nw GA. My little town was out of power for 23 days we buried all our food in the snow, we have well water and the pump froze so we had to melt snow for water, it wasn't a great time

18. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I think it was about '93 that we had the big snow storm that shut down my little college town for several days. I lived in the Student Ghetto, and we happened to have a grocery store in walking distance. I remember my roommates and I walking down to it, making jokes about goose-stepping masses chanting "Milk and Bread! Milk and Bread!"

And when we got there, sure enough, the bread isle was picked clean. I'm guessing there were a lot of sandwiches eaten that week! (One of the two best weeks of my life, actually).

19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

forty plus days of sub zero temps up here

20. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

When I was young and there was a good chance of a snowstorm, I remember we would always fill the bathtub with water in case the power went out. Otherwise we could not flush the toilet. (Nasty!) A requirement for those who used an electric pump to transport the waste water outside.

In addition to our furnace, my father had also installed a wood stove. When we lost power, we still had a source for heat. Also, my mother would make a real awesome soup/stew using the top of the wood stove as a heat source.

If you have a propane or gas stove, you can still use your burners in a power outage.

21. Schlyder

Schlyder

"If you have a propane or gas stove, you can still use your burners in a power outage."

This is not a good idea unless you have ventilation. If you use those gas appliances, only use for a short time and use ventilation. Carbon monoxide poisoning has killed many people.