Friggin cat!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ShredderMaximus, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Friggin cat has taken to chewing through wires. (i.e. 4 cell phone chargers & a headphone cord)

What do?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Buy some cat food every now and then? ;)

Anyway, I'm not a cat owner, but how about either there is something missing in the diet that makes the cat chew on stuff, or maybe it's bored and needs some toys or attention? Just some random thoughts.
  3. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

After years of working in Veterinary medicine I can tell you that cats are jerks.

As far as getting them to stop chewing on things there are chew stop products that you can get at pet stores. Bitter Apple is one the comes to mind. Also check with your regular Vet to see if they offer any products as well.
  4. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

The cat may be bored, or want attention. Give it some interactive play, enough to wear it out. They've all got different things they'll respond to--some cats like to jump, some like to chase thrown objects, some like pounce on a dragged shoelace. Figure out what your beast responds to, and give it some exercise. This may (or may not) help.

Because cats are jerks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

Get some "Cat Away"- type spray, saturate a rag and wipe the cords. Then get your lovely child their own cords. Take old cords and cut them into sections and tie the ends to something too big for the cat to swallow.

I witnessed my dad pulling a shoestring out of a cat when I was a child. It was disgusting then but I later figured the cat was lucky that it passed as far as it did. Stuff like that can get twisted around innards and kill your cat.

That's right. He pulled it out it's baja.
  7. Mysterion

Yeah, this too. Some cats can't be trusted with anything. I had a cat who loved a certain type of toy mouse, but he'd always eat the tails. I pulled them off. I had another cat who would walk around with coins in his mouth. He just liked carrying stuff.

Be careful with discarded dental floss. Cats love it, and it can be quite deadly.
  8. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

This calls for a road trip. First stop is your local asian restaurant to drop off the cat. Next stop is Radio Shack to buy new cables. Third stop is back to the restaurant to pick up your order of Moo Goo Gai Cat. Last stop is back home to enjoy your meal and install the new cables.:bag:
  9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

How can you tell if a cat is more tired? It sleeps more? Wanting to make the cat exercise is one thing, getting it to happen in another.

Nice Ed Roth- met him at the custom car show here not long before he passed.
  10. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

We used to wipe cables and electric cords with lemon oil. Supposedly cats don't like the scent of lemon.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If nothing else it would at least make the cables shiny and the room not smell of the cat. :)
  12. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

As a kid, my mom's dog swallowed a sock and died.

On topic, I have heard putting soap on wires stops them from getting chewed.
  13. Mysterion

Not so much tired, as bored. Some cats are perfectly chill, content to do very, very little. Cats that are 'busy,' cats that get into stuff...frequently respond to vigorous play. As I said, they're pretty perverse creatures, and very individual. As my late vet noted "You're never going to get inside her little head." But you can try to modify behavior. Sometimes.

Yeah, I met Ed Roth at a car show, too--some time in the late '80s or early 90s. My cyclocross bike still wears a RatFink sticker I bought from him. Obviously, he's the inspiration for my name...
  14. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Welcome to my world. Changed my laptop charger three times, probably changed my phone/internet cables about a dozen times, countless headphones ruined or resoldered, two webcam ruined, two mouse ruined, two keyboards, guitar cables (once she ruined one i'd bought the same day...), the list goes on forever. She cut down considerably on that ever since i got another cat earlier this year though. But for about three years... I don't dare count how much money she's cost me.

There are products you can buy and spray on cables, never tried it myself but its supposed to work. Another thing i was told is to use vicks vaporub on wires and cables, of cours ei think it's a bad idea if its a cable or wire you need to touch often.
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Limit where your cat can go. Your animals do not need to free-roam your entire house to be happy. I have many, many animals, and have never had anything destroyed. Not one shoe, one wire, nothing.

My animals only have access to what they should have access to.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

In an apartment like mine this wasn't an option. If i dont let them in my bedroom, i'll never see them basically since when i'm home that's where i spend 90% of my time (computer and tv are there and that's usually where i eat too...anyway sometimes I lock them out and it isnt long before one is meowing their head off at the door so if i tried that, i wouldnt sleep) The rest of the house has no doors separating rooms except for the bathroom and the bathroom was never an issue since there's nothing in there for them to chew on.

This is mainly a temperament thing. None of the other cats i ever had liked chewing cables. And a dog can be taught not to do things, but a cat....well according to that show on animal planet they can but this is beyond my capacity personally. Scolding and punishment doesn't work on cats.
  17. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Coat your cables with tobasco or sriracha.
  18. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    I have a spray bottle with water handy. Set it for the single hard stream. Cats do not like a jet stream hitting them. It works IF you can see the cat doing the chewing. If the cat is munching your cables while you are out of the house, well, then i think you may need to move your cables. Or maybe just shut the door to that specific room.
  19. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    +1 on spray bottle.
    +1,000 on cats are jerks
    +10,000 donate the little ****...nobody said that yet right?
  20. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Steve (the cat) gets plenty of attention and food. He's a super cool cat other than his recent change of taste.

I'll probably try hot sauce on some cords as putting up all cords just isn't realistic for us. Hopefully after a couple times it will permanently turn him off of the cords.

I'm thinking he might be getting back at us for leaving him alone for a week for thanksgiving last month.

Or he's just being a jerk and knows damn well what he's doing.
  21. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Sometimes it's like a digging dog, they do what they do because they enjoy doing it.

A lot of folks say it's boredom, lack of exercise, lack of attention, etc., and all the above can be correct, but it can also be nothing more than something the cat has decided it likes to do. If that's the case you will need some type of aversion therapy/device to make it change it's little mind about what it likes. Something on the cables that the cat finds distasteful would be the most direct and IMO effective approach.