From 15W Amp to... What?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gjallarhorn, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn

Hey!

Like the title says, I still use my 15W amplifier that I got from a beginners-kit. It's enough when playing alone in my room, but it's getting weaker and weaker.

Recently I managed to form a band with my friend and we are going to practise together in a couple of days.

Hopefully the rehearsal hall that we will play at has a decent amplifier, but I am preparing for the worst (I have to upgrade it sooner or later anyways).

I have been reading on different threads and other forums about this and that and a lot of people says that getting a bass combo is a "waste of money" and that it's better to get a bass head and a bass cabinet, since you can replace these individually.

Now I would like to get some guidance when it comes to these stuff, because my knowledge is far from good.

What I want:
    - Be heard over or at least with the acoustic drums and among the guitars (one of them has a 120 watt amplifier)
    - Be enough when playing at small gigs, but not too excessive
    - Be fairly cheap but enough to hold for at least 1-2 years minimum (Decent in short)

When it comes to Bass Combos, I have been looking at:
    - Peavey Tour TNT 115
    - ~450 USD
    http://www.thomann.de/se/peavey_tour_tnt.htm

When it comes to Bass Head and Bass Cabinet:
    - Behringer BXR1800H - Bass Head
    - ~130 USD
    http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_bxr1800h.htm

- Kustom DE410H - Bass Cabinet
    - ~300 USD
    http://www.thomann.de/se/kustom_de410h.htm

The Bass Combo will cost about 450 USD and the Bass Head + Bass Cabinet about 430 USD.

The reason I made this thread is that I need your opinions, since you have more experience than me when it comes to this.

Do you have any other recommendations in this cost-range or anything else that's good to know when it comes to purchasing bass amplifiers?

I check websites daily for used amplifiers, but if I can't find one when the time comes, it's good to be prepared.

(Keep in mind that I am from Sweden, so craigslist and anything else within the US is not an option for me)

I appreciate all help I can get!

2. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

I used to have a TC Electronic BG 250 that was fansastic. Retails for $399 USD, 250w, very light, gets very loud and has the cool Toneprint feature.

But if I was to recommend something, I would say the GK MB115-II. I think it's MSRP at $499 USD, 200w. Many here will sing the praises of both the sound and reliability of the GK lines. This is a nice entry level amp, sounds good, is light. The big win here is that down the road you can buy a $399 MBE115 powered enclosure and voila you have a modular 2 x 15" 400w stack that should handle anything you can throw at it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The stickies and faq's cover this subject quite well. Bottom line, buy as much wattage as you can afford, and don't skimp on the spkr cab. Get a big 4 ohm cab and be done, (2x15, 8x10), or get an 8 ohm 4x10 and be prepared to add a 2nd identical cab later, if and when you need more volume.