From a fretted jazz bass to a fretless jazz + a precision

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fmbarros, Jan 5, 2014.

1. fmbarros

fmbarros

Hi people.

So, I would like to have your opinion and your advice on this.

I have a MIA fender jazz bass (fretted) and I am planning to start playing fretless. Besides that, I would like to have a precision and I prefer fretless jazzes than fretless precisions.

If I lived in the US, where it is possible to buy an instrument by a reasonable price, I'd just sell my fretted jazz and buy a fretted precision AND a fretless jazz (one of them or maybe both would probably be MIM, for I don't believe I'd have the money to buy two MIA fenders), but it's really hard to do this here, with Brazil's absurdly steep prices. So I started thinking about alternatives and I would like to know what you think about this. Maybe I could buy a precision body and put my fretted jazz neck on it (I've never been a big fan of those chunky precision necks) and then buy a fretless jazz neck and put it on my MIA jazz.
    So, do you think it'd be a good solution? Is it possible to find those parts for a reasonable price? Would you recommend me buying them from fender or are there other places/makers I could try?

Well, I think that's it. Thank you for your opinion and advice.

Regards,
    Fred
  2. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Both will fit. I have a Squier Jazz neck on a MIM P body for my fretted P. Most prefer a fretless Jazz tone to a fretless P tone. The Jazz pup config gives more tonal options, almost essential with fretless.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

I don't know how expensive these parts are in Brazil, but sounds like they will be very expensive. Have you considered de-fretting the bass?
  4. fmbarros

fmbarros

Thank you for your answers.

I forgot to explain this part of the plan: my idea is to have the parts shipped to Brazil.

To have an entire bass shipped will be almost impossible due both to shipping costs and customs restrictions, but I believe it won't be a problem with parts, which are smaller and individually cheaper.

Yes, I've considered de-fretting the bass, but this is my only bass and I can't have only a fretless.

But what I would like most to hear from you is:
    1 - regarding the instruments alone --I mean playability, re-sell value (I can put back my jazz fretted neck on my jazz body if I want to sell it), quality, value for the money etc-- do you think it is a good plan?

2 - What are the best places to look for these parts on the internet?

3 - Other suggestions for getting an at least reasonable fretless?

Thanks a lot!

All the best,
    Fred