1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

From a fretted jazz bass to a fretless jazz + a precision

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fmbarros, Jan 5, 2014.

1. fmbarros

fmbarros

Hi people.

So, I would like to have your opinion and your advice on this.

I have a MIA fender jazz bass (fretted) and I am planning to start playing fretless. Besides that, I would like to have a precision and I prefer fretless jazzes than fretless precisions.

If I lived in the US, where it is possible to buy an instrument by a reasonable price, I'd just sell my fretted jazz and buy a fretted precision AND a fretless jazz (one of them or maybe both would probably be MIM, for I don't believe I'd have the money to buy two MIA fenders), but it's really hard to do this here, with Brazil's absurdly steep prices. So I started thinking about alternatives and I would like to know what you think about this. Maybe I could buy a precision body and put my fretted jazz neck on it (I've never been a big fan of those chunky precision necks) and then buy a fretless jazz neck and put it on my MIA jazz.
    So, do you think it'd be a good solution? Is it possible to find those parts for a reasonable price? Would you recommend me buying them from fender or are there other places/makers I could try?

Well, I think that's it. Thank you for your opinion and advice.

Regards,
    Fred
  2. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Both will fit. I have a Squier Jazz neck on a MIM P body for my fretted P. Most prefer a fretless Jazz tone to a fretless P tone. The Jazz pup config gives more tonal options, almost essential with fretless.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

I don't know how expensive these parts are in Brazil, but sounds like they will be very expensive. Have you considered de-fretting the bass?
  4. fmbarros

fmbarros

Thank you for your answers.

I forgot to explain this part of the plan: my idea is to have the parts shipped to Brazil.

To have an entire bass shipped will be almost impossible due both to shipping costs and customs restrictions, but I believe it won't be a problem with parts, which are smaller and individually cheaper.

Yes, I've considered de-fretting the bass, but this is my only bass and I can't have only a fretless.

But what I would like most to hear from you is:
    1 - regarding the instruments alone --I mean playability, re-sell value (I can put back my jazz fretted neck on my jazz body if I want to sell it), quality, value for the money etc-- do you think it is a good plan?

2 - What are the best places to look for these parts on the internet?

3 - Other suggestions for getting an at least reasonable fretless?

Thanks a lot!

All the best,
    Fred