From band guy to hired gun - Markbass vs Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whitespikebass, Dec 14, 2013.

1. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Which do you think would be the better sounding lightweight, portable option.

Markbass Little Mark Tube with Markbass Club 151 or Markbass Randy Jackson 1X15 cab

or

Ampeg PF500 with the matching 115 or 210

Don't want to lug a vintage SVT for a hired gun gig. I play a Ric with flats.
  2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

the markbass Lil mark tube is a SWEET sounding little bugger.
  3. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

I like Markbass but, for me, I like the Ampeg sound better. Markbass will be the lighter option of the two.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For me it's the PF500 and 115 or 210. Not that I dislike Markbass heads...the heads are pretty nice and I used to run an LMII for a year before I went back to Ampeg. I could never get used to their cabs, though. Too much of an upper mid hump that's really tough to dial out.
  5. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Definitely prefer a more vintage kind of tone. Didn't know if the markbass would better provide that bc of the tube preamp or whether or not it would still be super hi fi sounding.

At 56 pounds the Ampeg is still waaaaay lighter and more portable than my SVT!
  6. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Not to mention the Markbass is not attractive IMO which while it won't determine my purchase it does kind of matter to me. Ampeg is beautiful in looks and half the price but I don't want to sacrifice tone or feel like Ive purchased a toy
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I've played the LM tube too many times. That little tube in there doesn't do anything like what are expecting.
    Go with the PF. Seriously.
  8. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

9. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Jimmy, I know you're an Ampeg guy ….

WHat is the main difference I should expect in tone from the PF stuff from the SVT?
  10. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

The B200r seems interesting too, if I could find one. But not wild that you cannot expand it at all to be louder if needed.
  11. bassrush67

bassrush67

I am glad I came across this. I am the svt with an SWR triad cab. Its all in one shock proof flight case along with rack tuner, wireless, and power conditioner, on 4"casters. I call it the BEAST. I can't load it by myself. I have seriously been considering going to the mark with 1-15 & 2 - 10's and the 800 watt tube head. Simply for weight purposes. I would still put it all in a flight case. I play a 5 string and I don't want to give up my lower end. I haven't gotten to play through that particular mark setup live. I have in music stores but that isn't the same. Any suggestions or opinions?
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Tonally they're in the same ballpark, but there's a certain dimensional quality to the tone that's not quite at the level of the SVT's. Like with the SVT it feels like you can actually hear and feel the electrons travel through the tubes ;) Give me that any day of the week over solid state. But the Ampeg micros do a very respectable job at copping the tones for the money, though.
  13. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'm a full range clean OR tube guy and I would go with a PF500 15/15 rig from personal experience within the two the options. Ideally, I'd buy a PF500 (or 800!) + used Ampeg 810e. That would be killer and keep up with a tube SVT and then some with proper use of gain and comp. Just IMO/IME. But really, the PF500 was the closest to SVT tone and feel I'd ever found with a SS (or hybrid) amp. I'd use a J with bass ~4/10, mids on 1 at 6-7/10, treble 7-8/10 when using a Jazz with dead strings to approximate the SVT + J combo through the same cabs.
  14. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I love my LM tube 800...but for what you need the ampeg gear will be $200-300 cheaper overall.
  15. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Just curious, are there reliability problems with the PF series?
  16. groooooove

groooooove

markbass head with anything does the trick...

seriously.
  17. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

Markbass head and cab every time.
  18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The little Markbass NY121 cab doesn't sound very good to me. But, you get one of the 102HF or 104HF cabs and you'd hear that they sound great.

As for the PF500, I'd skip that one and either get the PF350 or PF800 if you want the Ampeg. There's just been too much drama and problems with the PF500.
  19. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Hmm...have you heard of any? My PF500 and 210 have never given me any issues.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I can't tell if you're making a funny or not ;) But assuming you're not, yeah, the PF500 had a bad spell for a little while, but a handful of revisions later and I'm hearing about pretty solid results now. The PF350 and PF800 are quite reliable from what I've seen, though.