From guitar to bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Duff91, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Duff91

Duff91

Hi, I'm writing because I'm thinking about starting to play bass.
    I already play electric guitar but a friend of mine needs a bass player for his band and I've always wanted to try.
    So I wrote to ask a question about tone, I'm thinking of buying a cheap bass and amp to see if I like it and than, in a month, buy a good bass and amp for live use.
    The sound I'm looking for is pretty much this:

so my question is: what are the right (cheap) bass and amp for that tone? Do I need pedals? Am I going to be a bit near to that tone? For sure with a cheap bass I can't expect much but a bit about that tone.
  2. TwinBass

TwinBass

Without knowing your budget, I'd suggest trying to find a used Squier CV/VM or a Mexican Fender that you like (play it a bit at the store first) and a used Peavey or Hartke amp. (Sorry, the video is blocked for me so I don't know what tone you're after. I just know that the sound you want today might not be the sound you want tomorrow, and the precision and jazz basses can be quite versatile in the hands of someone who is willing to put in the time.)

Shop used (yes, it may have a bruise or two) and maybe you won't feel the need to upgrade right away. Plus, if you do upgrade, you can usually get out of it what you put into it. I recommended Squier and Fender because it is pretty easy to upgrade parts like pickups.
  3. Duff91

Duff91

Thanks for the answer, I was thinking about a Squier bass too, and than, If I like it, I was thinking about buying a fender.
    The video is Bad Rain from Slash's last album Apocalyptic Love
  4. ics1974

ics1974

I have Squier and MIM Fenders. Unless you are getting a used Fender I would recommend the Squier CV/VM
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TwinBass

TwinBass

Pick a bass you like and you might not be so jumpy about upgrading. I have a CV Squier that I plays just as much as a nice Fender I've got. As a player, It's every bit as good. I mentioned upgrading pickups because if I upgraded anything on my Squier it would be that, but I don't really have the urge yet. The stock pickups do the trick.
  7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I'm a heretic on the relative worth of entry level bass guitars and am of the opinion that almost any major brand will do since the company is seeking to protect their brand name for follow up sales. Since the goal is to try it out in a band your main concern should be an amp which can keep up with the band. Probably more then half of your budget would go there.

If it is just to play in the bedroom to see if a bass feels right and adding a bass line is in your character then pick a bass that feels good to you. Different weights, balance points, necks etc are the difference
  8. anonparrot

anonparrot

I was in the same position as you about a year ago.

I decided to buy a bass and small practice amp off of CL ... honestly I wish I hadn't. I found out I don't like p-basses. But everything I had read said start with a p-bass and you can't go wrong.

I just don't like the sound of p-basses. It also took me forever to re-sell that squire p-bass and amp.

I wish I had gone to multiple guitar stores and tried different basses. When I finally found what I wanted it clicked immediately (Thunderbird - dual hb).

You mileage may vary - but go and try a bunch of stuff before jumping in.

--Anonparrot
  9. oniman7

oniman7

Based on Duff's history, I would suggest a Squier jaguar and maybe a fender rumble our small Gallien Krueger combo