1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Frome BEADG to EADGC (Xotic)?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by remcult, Mar 31, 2014.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Hi,

I'm in the midst of buying an Xotic XJ-1T 5 from a TBer, and while I plan on learning (at least initially) the more orthodox BEADG tuning, I was wondering what would be involved if I wanted to switch the tuning to EADGC.

Also, the string spacing is 19 mm, which I like at the moment, as that's the same as my Fender Jazz; I think it might make adjusting to a 5-string a little easier. But if I change my mind in the future and want to make it, say, 17 mm, will I have to make hardware adjustments (like getting a new bridge/nut)?

Any advice is welcome.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Best case scenario in going to EADGC is just reintonating.

You may also have to make small adjustments to the saddle height and/or truss rod if the total tension on the EADGC strings is significantly different from the old ones. Basic setup stuff.

Worst case will require the above plus replacing the nut if the new thinner strings rattle or shift in the BEADG size slots.