FROSTIE ROOT BEER....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

ok, so i'm taking my son to his jazz band practice the other day, and to kill the time, i go into this high end grocery store in the area (Fresh Market)...and they have, among other things, bottles of Frostie root beer.

now, i haven't seen frostie since, maybe, the 70's or 80's...so i buy one...just had it tonight, and it was good...matter of fact, it was just like i remembered it....far better than A&W or any of the commercially available brands.

it was even better than Virgils or some of the other high end brands.

so tonight, i go on the internet, and after some looking find this site that sells cases of grocery items, and they have Frostie Root Beer....here is the downer...they have it, alright, but at @30.00 the case for 12 ounce bottles....yikes

so i did what any right thinking person would do...i ordered 5 cases (free shipping)....what can i say....i like this stuff

just spouting off...what say you?

[​IMG]

2. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Try Abita root beer. Best I have found. The only problem is that it is very hard to find. One resturant around here serves it in bottles, another has it on tap(!), and one small natural foods grocery store sells it by the six-pack. I think the Abita website has a tool to help you find it in your area.

3. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

actually, there is a local draft beer store (that is, a store that you bring your own container and they will sell you gallons and half-gallons of draft beer) that sells draft Abita.

it is definitely good...no complaints at all, and when i go to that store i buy a half-gallon of Abita...but to my way of thinking, it is not as good as Frostie.

[​IMG]

4. Richland123

Richland123

Stewart's makes a good root beer. I am also partial to Dad's root beer since I was a kid.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

ABC (Appalachian Brewing Company) Rootbeer

end of story.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Frostie is one of those childhood memories for me. Used to go to the old mom and pop owned corner store and grab a cold one for a quarter. It was made in Baltimore back then if I remember correctly. What made Frostie so good was the amount of vanilla they used I think. Very smooth.

8. Richland123

Richland123

I also like birch beer. It comes in three styles - white, brown, and red. There used to be a regional soda pop company called Sander's that made the white and brown birch beer and it was great. Pennsylvania Dutch brand birch beer is the red style and is still made. When I was a kid, there was a corner store in my neighborhood that had Pennsylvania Dutch brand birch beer on draft. They would take a frosted mug out of the freezer and fill it up with fresh draft birch beer. That was a special treat and all the kids who grew up in that neighborhood from that era still talk about that. Sorry to say that store closed long ago.

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Half right. It is the best root beet out there but I haven't had a problem trying to find it. Of course, it's made in Louisiana and living in Texas it's no challenge to come across.

Slightly off topic, but their beer is great, too :D

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

I forgot about that stuff. Penn Dutch is fantastic. Came in those gawdy yellow cans.

11. Richland123

Richland123

Yes, you can still buy it in those yellow cans as well as 2 liter bottles, 20 oz. plastic bottles, and 12 oz. glass bottles.

http://www.daretogodutch.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Frostie Root Beer, wow that does bring back childhood memories!
    My father was a pilot and used to fly out of a very small airport around Alma Georgia when I just a little kid so I was there often. They had Frostie in thier machine and if I behaved myself while dad was conducting business he would buy me one along with a package of Lance's salted peanuts and we'd sit there together drinking soda and eating peanuts.

Sorry to ramble but thanks for the stroll down memory lane. :D

13. Richland123

Richland123

14. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I miss the Barq's TV commercials.

15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I miss the Mug old-fashioned root beer radio ads.

16. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

St. Arnold's Root Beer is the best I have ever had...not sure that you can get it out side of Texas though.

17. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

How about sarsparilla? Bundaberg is my favorite.

[​IMG]

18. Richland123

Richland123

I really like ginger beer too. Faygo used to make a fantastic ginger beer (not to be confused with ginger ale). There are a few others that are pretty good. I like Vernor's but that is not a true ginger beer but more of a spicy, strong ginger ale.

[​IMG]

19. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I've never tasted that... I've only ever heard it when Bugs Bunny asked for it from an old western bartender.

20. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

try D&G (i think it's Desnoes & Geddes...but don't hold me to that) Jamaican Ginger Beer.....best i've ever had.

if you can't find it in the grocery store, try your local ethnic foods grocery...around here they are run by Chinese folks and carry a lot of chinese foodstuffs, but they all have a wide variety of mexican, oriental and foreign foods and condiments, noodles, utensils etc...full selections of foreign sodas...Jarritos Grapefruit is mighty good also

[​IMG]

ps-edit- we have a two liter bottle right now, waiting to be chilled....cost was very competitive with all sodas...nothing especially expensive. i bet you can find them that way too

21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

ABC Root Beer
    Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer
    Sioux City Sarsaparilla