Frustrated with an online retailer

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hanales, Jan 29, 2014.

1. hanales

hanales

So, ordered a genz benz contour 500 210 last friday night. Paid with paypal. Gentleman said it would ship out the next day.

Monday hadn't heard anything so got online, they said I would have my track after 4. 630 comes around, get back online they tell me after 7.

Nothing.

Next day, I call in right when they open. I explain my situation and the first thing from the guy is WOAH WOAH WE DON'T SHIP ON SATURDAY, so I say, calmly "That's what "xxx" said to me in the online chat". He said the guy was misinformed, so I say fine, if it shipped yesterday can you give me the tracking information, since I need to have someone home when it comes.

He proceeds to tell me my order has not been processed because I "have not paid". I point out that the money has already come out of my bank account via paypal. After further "research" he finds that the order did "not have the funds applied" but they got the payment. He apologizes and tells me the amp will ship out that day. That's tuesday.

So, this evening I go online when I get home from work (530 or so) and ask for the track. They tell me I have to call. So I call.

The guy says he will email me my tracking number (after first telling me the order wasn't processed).

I get the track, and it's not even in the system on UPS. I check back an hour later and it's a brand new created label, meaning they just shipped it today!

Now, I'm not impatient. I got a great deal, and free shipping. I was prepared to wait a week for UPS ground even though this store is only two states away from Ohio. But at this point I'm thinking about disputing with paypal and refusing the shipment when it shows up. I don't appreciate being jerked around in what should be a simple transaction. I've held up my end of the bargain by giving them money, why can they not do the same? If I hadn't called them how long would they have sat on my money? I've got gigs coming and would like the time to tune this amp at rehearsals with my full band before it hits a stage.

What do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I remember the days when you'd have to wait 3-6 weeks for shipping when you bought mail order or over the phone before there was an internet. Used to say so right in the ads. "Please allow 3-6 weeks for shipping." Chalk it up to a little case of human error, realize nobody's perfect, and enjoy it when it gets there.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I vote yes, a little bit. My take is that PayPal is an extra step (you leave their site) that might create a gap the payment might slide into: as what's happened to you. A credit card through their in-house checkout is instantaneous.

Edit; probably wouldn't have happened if you ordered an Ampeg, right jimmy? :p :D
  4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'd be interested to know which retailer this is. Not shipping on Saturday I can see, but I think it should have made it out by end of day Monday - unless the item specifically called out needing additional handling time prior to shipping. Tuesday is still acceptable to me, but starting to test my limits, especially after being told it was going to ship previously. Another day after that... well, I'd probably be looking to cancel the order.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You have certainly been jerked around some. Just for future reference though, ground shipping UPS tracking numbers can take 24 hours or more to display in the UPS system.
  7. hanales

hanales

You're right, I (and everyone else) are a little bit spoiled for choice and availability nowadays. I could forgive the mistake of not knowing that they don't ship on saturdays (or forgetting that it's friday, lord knows I have) it's the rest of it that really started to honk me off.

The guy requested paypal! They said they preferred it and it was easiest for them. Otherwise I would have just used my credit card like I usually do for online purchases.
  8. hanales

hanales

I don't want to out them, it's just me venting, and the music gear business is hard enough as is. I even took the time to search the forums for permutations of the name to see if anyone else had had problems, and only found good things, so I'm going to assume I'm an exception. Now if other threads pop up and it appears to be a trend, then I'll get mouthier. :)

I just checked it, and according to UPS was shipped today. There's a whole bunch of words I used when I just read that, but I think they only appear as asterisks on this forum. :)
  9. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

don't let a little bit of frustration ruin a good deal. you have the right to be a little irritated, but i bet that fades when ya' plug in to that bad boy! enjoy your amp!
  10. hanales

hanales

Can't wait Matt! Love me some Genz Benz, always have. Hell, I even played an El Diablo guitar head for years as my main guitar rig. If this is half that quality I'll be set for years on the bass side.
  11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Holy Crap man you need to mellow out. give your ticker a break and breath deeply.
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I know I have had ground shipments worry me. Some took two days to show as picked up and in route. All times the picked up date was the day the tracking number was given. Doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling :)
  13. hanales

hanales

Hey if I can't vent to strangers on the internet over really minor issues, what am I living for?
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can't argue that.
  15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

That's what we're here for;)
  16. Cirk

Cirk

Sometimes they take a while to actually ship an item. Yes, that's a pain. I I may make a suggestion, head over to Ballbuster's on Mahoning ave in Austintown and tell Jenn I said hi. Nice folks there. As for local music stores, the good folks at Hubbard Music have always been good to me. Just don't cuss in front of Mom there if you know what's good for you.
    Enjoy the amp!
  17. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Be thankful it was'nt USPS. I get stuff all the time that says " delivered " when sent via the post office. What it actually means is that it was " delivered " to the main hub. When it gets to you, is another matter. For example, I ordered some strings from Sam Ash. They gave me a tracking # and said I would get it last Thursday. Showed up today, although their first class tracking # said it got there last Friday ! Since it is so easy to " create " a UPS Shipping label, it could take up to 48 hours before it actually gets in their system. Still, I would use UPS every time over the post office.
  18. gumtown

gumtown Previously gumtownbassman Supporting Member

Here is Your delivery

19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

+1 BIG time. I rarely get anything USPS, but when I do chances are better than 50% that there's a problem with it. Late, damaged, delivered to a different address than what's on the label. you name it. Yes, stolen by pirates that only speak pig latin as well. Why do you ask?
  20. hanales

hanales

Thanks everyone. After a good nights sleep I'm back to being excited about getting my amp.

Thanks for the venting opportunity!
  21. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel.
    That's too bad. I just caught this thread and was grabbing my pitchfork...oh well on to another day...enjoy the amp. :D