1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS: 1967 Guild Starfire I Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jbiscuti, Dec 16, 2013.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I'm angling to get myself one of my dream basses -- a pre-CBS Fender Precision Bass (most likely a refin) -- so I'm putting a few things up on the block. One is my beloved '67 Starfire I.

I've done a few mods on this bass to make it totally gig-ready, as I have been gigging with it quite a bit.

1) The original tuners are long gone, and somebody had replaced them with heavy Schallers. In turn, I dumped the Schallers and installed Hipshot Ultralites. Though each tuner did require one extra hole be drilled, that hole will of course not be visible beneath vintage-correct tuners. However, the tuner holes have been reamed out anyway.

Trust me, you'll want to stick with the Ultralites anyway.

2) I dumped the original acoustic guitar-esque strap button for a real deal Fender-esque button. The reason I did this was because it was very common for the bass to slip off me if I took it out of hanging position, even for a second. I couldn't have that.

To do this, I dowelled the hole and used Titebond to secure it. It's not going anywhere.

3) When I got the bass, it was missing the pickup riser for the Bi-Sonic. I dot one from Pickguardian, who took the measurements from Curtis Novak. Works like a charm.

The bass is obviously well-worn and mojo laden. The aged cherry finish is a very thin nitrocellulose and feels like a dream. The bass itself is also ridiculously light, even with a center block running through it. Can't be more than 7 and a half pounds.

The Bi-Sonic is of course one of the sweetest sounds pickups around, and this bass is not muddy in the least. Don't be fooled by the pickup placement!

The fretboard has been refretted with slightly bigger than vintage fretwire. It's a totally pro job that will last many years.

The neck is among the comfiest I have ever felt; very full C-shape with a skinny nut width.

The action is super low right now, well-suited to a light touch. If you have a heavier right-hand touch, I would advise you jack up the action a touch, as it seems to respond better that way.

I currently have the bass strung up with some old Flatwounds, but this bass also really likes rounds. I'll string it up with whichever you prefer.

One knob is original, the other is some kind of repro.

I'm asking $1850 shipped & PP'd OR BEST OFFER for this vintage beauty.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

(Note: Photos were taken before I added the riser, and only two Ultralite Tuners are present).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. gbazinet

gbazinet Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

3. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    A '67 Starfire that looked very much like this when I got it is now my main gigging bass (albeit with a lot of mods). These are great basses.
  4. jbiscuti

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Disclosures:
  5. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

A wonderful instrument. Only a moron would sell it to buy a P-bass. Ooops, sorry, jb! ;)
  6. jbiscuti

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Disclosures:
    I am most definitely a moron when GAS takes over. :)
  7. jbiscuti

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Disclosures:
    Happy New Year!

Feel free to make me an offer. Please be gentile. :)

Thanks!
  8. thedeadmelon

thedeadmelon Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I've always wanted one of these, and this one looks pretty tailored to me. Is it short scale? Still here?
  9. tightbidness

tightbidness

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm also curious if this Starfire is still here.