1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

For Sale FS: 1973 Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ron mexico, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ron mexico

ron mexico Supporting Member

Price:
    $2650
    Strings:
    Frets?:
    Yes
    I've listed this one a few times, but I always end up deciding to keep it. Not this time, as much as I love this bass, it is time to find it a new home.

1973 Fender Jazz Bass, serial # 507xxx. I picked it up years ago from Willies American Guitars in Minneapolis. This a great example of a 70's Fender Jazz. Its sounds great and plays fantastic IMHO. 8.8lbs on my digital bathroom scale. Its one of the easier playing basses I own, the neck is straight and action is nice and low. It looks like two of the springs on the bridge were changed at some point, and its missing the neck pu cover, so I'd say its about 98% original. Its in pretty good shape for a 40 year old bass, but there's some honest playing wear. The finish is worn thru in a few spots, but they're pretty small. There are some scratches on the back, but they don't break the surface, and there's a few dings on the end of the headstock. Someone put a thumb rest over the bridge pu and tightened it down pretty hard because it left an imprint. The OHSC is in good shape too, one latch is broken, but I'm looking into getting it fixed. I'm asking $2650 shipped & insured CONUS via Paypal. I'm willing to ship it internationally, but the buyer pays all shipping costs.

I'm not really looking for trades, but a Fullerton RI jazz + cash could tempt me.

More detailed pics here: http://s204.photobucket.com/user/jerwit1980/library/1973 Jazz?
    sort=2&page=1#

Update: 9/23/14- I've got the jazz on consignment at a local shop. It's still for sale here, I just won't be bumping the thread while it's there. Pm me if you're interested or have any questions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    adi77 likes this.
  2. rbutler2

rbutler2

Pretty nice, I'm a fellow Twin Cities guy and had almost the same bass, I ended up parting with it a year or two ago, but this one looks pretty damn clean. Good luck with the sale.

3. ron mexico

Thanks, it's definitely one of the good ones

4. drums1977

drums1977

Hi,

I have a stunning us lakland 44-51. Building quality is better than fender CS. One piece swampash body, birdseye maple fingerboard. Seethrough blond finish. A real beauty. Nutwidth is 1'675, right in between a j and a p. I could offer that playtime cash. Here she is.

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/library/US Lakland 44-51?sort=4&page=1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drums1977

drums1977

Sorry about this, I still don't know how to use the bloody android app!! XD

7. ron mexico

Thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer something with a rw board

8. ron mexico

Getting some trade offers but nothings panned out yet

9. ron mexico

Trade update: I've decided to try my hand at assembling a P bass, so the only trade I'd be interested in is a Fullerton ri jazz+cash

10. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Supporting Member

11. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Man even the headstock is gorgeous!!!

12. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

I'm curious - what is it about the RI that' you like more than this bass?

13. ron mexico

Thanks, there's a bit of birdseye scattered around the whole neck, looks pretty sharp.

14. ron mexico

This is a great playing and sounding bass, but I just prefer the feel of the early 60's j & p basses. I haven't actually played a Fullerton j, but I have a RI P that I love, so I'm familiar with what they were doing at the time. I've played a few real ones, they were really nice, but I can't really afford the price tag. Since the Fullerton stuff is very close to the real in terms of playability and feel, I decided to try and find one.

15. ron mexico

America! Bump yeah!

16. ron mexico

ttt...I'm thinking about giving this thread a rest, or maybe listing it on reverb, but it'll be available to tber's as long as the thread is open

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric Supporting Member

18. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    Endorsing : Elixir Strings, Digitech , Eden Amplification
  19. ron mexico

20. ron mexico

The jazz is now on consignment at a local shop. It's still for sale here, I just won't be bumping the thread while it's there. Pm me if you're interested.

21. ron mexico

I'd really like find a new home for one. Final price drop to $2650 shipped.