For Sale FS: 1978 - 82/83 Jazz Bass, Dots+Binding, Rare & Pristine

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by slap2much, Apr 15, 2014.

1. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Price:
    $1475
    Strings:
    Up for sale is my 1978-82/83-ish Fullerton-made Jazz Bass, White Ash/Rosewood. Asking $1475 shipped to the lower 48. I'm paring down and have decided my '76 will be the lone vintage 70s in the collection. Top 3 things to note about it:

(1) As a 'transitional' instrument it has a rare combination of components and finishes, most notably the cream neck binding, rosewood fretboard and dot inlays.

[​IMG]

(2) With the exception of possibly 2 of the pickup screws and the strap buttons I believe it is completely stock. It came to me with hardshell case, wrenches, owner's manual, hang tag and both pickup covers (never mounted).

[​IMG]

(3) It is in fantastic condition! I've seen brand new instruments on the floor of music stores with more wear. I found some age-related discoloration on some of the plastic, a few really tiny indentations where the bottom of the headstock hangs from a holder, and some light scuffing in the belt buckle area but that's IT. Paint, poly, neck, etc. all amazing.

[​IMG]

The body has mellowed to a cream color (see pics, the ones without flash are truer to how it looks in person). Rosewood fretboard has a lot of nice figuring, I'd guess it would be an upcharge for 'Brazilian' or similar if you bought one like this today. The binding/dots combo is very cool, not something you come across every day. Neck is the typical 70s profile, chunkier than a modern Jazz but narrow -- nut measures just slightly under 1.5 inches. Very little fretwear, you might consider a light polish for cosmetic reasons but it plays great with low action as is. Bullet truss adjustment at the headstock, turns freely in both directions and has lots of play left. No pressure or cracking on the 1st fret (and no block there to crack anyway).

Electronics are original. I bought this from a private party who told me he was the 2nd owner and that the 1st had replaced the pickups but kept the originals & later replaced them. I did have it examined by my repair shop and they confirmed original electronics, solder joints not original (I have disassembly pics also). The foam under the pickups has started to disintegrate, I was able to pull the neck pickup and capture the date code however didn't try to force the bridge pickup out. Wiring in the cavity is a match, as are visuals. It looks like 2 of the 8 pickup mounting screws may not be original, and the strap buttons look like they were replaced with straploks.

According to Fender lore/fact, the serial number can indicate assembly and shipping from 1978 up to 1982 or even 1983. Sometime in '83 the headstock logo changed along with new serial numbering and the big 1-piece plastic pickguard. The pickup code indicates 1982 and the neck has a Feb. 1983 date (I think), I couldn't get a complete pot code because of where the soldering was but have a couple closeups in case anyone's interested. The bound/dots neck and non-strat knobs are a very rare combo and appear to place it in late 1982 (I read that the neck date can sometimes be post-manufacture but the pickup dates usually are not).

It plays and sounds great. You can see the ash grain inside the neck route, and feel the weight of the body (I got 11 pounds using the bathroom scale with/without bass method). I think it's true that the resonance of this era's Fenders really is affected by the wood density. Comes with hardshell case, in good shape but missing a piece of trim in the handle assembly (pictured, still works fine though). Case candy and accessories included as mentioned earlier. Canada/Int'l sales possible but would prefer Con US. Link to the full album of pictures below. Thanks!

http://s242.photobucket.com/user/c_nakamoto/library/78Jazz

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Rob S

Rob S

These are wonderful instruments and I think tremendous value for the money. Good luck with the sale!

slap2much likes this.
  3. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Great color, great price. Can't imagine this will last long. GLWTS

slap2much likes this.
  4. slap2much

Hey, thanks for the responses guys. I was asked about trades -- if I can combine this and something else I own for something that's on my wish list, sure. Like Jazz +...
    • my Godin A4 for the right Rob Allen MB-2 or Deep 4
    • my Black ProTone ash PJ body w/Sadowsky pickups and blocked Allparts J neck for a Sadowsky PJ
    • my Alembic Spoiler for a 34" scale Alembic 4 string
    Kind of a short list though. I'd also entertain offers for one-for-one trades if it's something vintage, preferably Fender, and not a 70s Jazz. Would also consider trade for a Roscoe Beck IV with non-maple fretboard (not sure if those were rosewood or pau ferro). No parts basses please.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slickbass3

slickbass3

7. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Supporting Member

Nice dots and binding combo bump!!

slap2much likes this.
  8. slap2much

One of the PMs I received asked about how it feels and sounds, I didn't want to get too hyped on the personal descriptions but action is really low, vintage radius works better than ultra flat for me and the neck is thicker front-to-back than a modern Jazz which I also like, not too thin so you don't over-reach. Recently heard the song 'Glide' by the band Pleasure -- Nate Phillips I think -- and thought, 'that's pretty much the sound of this bass.' With both pickups on full and the tone up, at least. Neck pup only and tone dialed back, more woody & thumping. A whole lotta growl if you favor the bridge pup. I've paired it with an outboard Fodera preamp and it's a sweet, sweet combo.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  9. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Supporting Member

10. DJJazzV

DJJazzV That's impossible! They're on instruments! Supporting Member

Awesome bass! I have the same one in black / maple. So easy to play.
    The pickups are in the "70's position" as well.

11. Elionjamz

Elionjamz

12. slap2much

Yep, see post 4 for more info on trades and PM with specifics. Thanks.

13. JCBass

JCBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky, Lakland, Euphonic Audio & Rotosound
  14. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

does the Neck have a tinted finish on the back?

15. slap2much

I don't think it's tinted but it has gotten a slight amber hue from age. I will see if I can get a good color-accurate pic and post.

16. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Thanks. It looks sweet and definitely seems to have a hint of Amber. I would definitely trade MY Steve Harris for that beauty. :)

17. ciubz

ciubz

is it the body ash or alder?

18. slap2much

Pretty sure it's ash (see the prominent grain in the shot of the neck heel cutout).

19. slap2much

20. slap2much

21. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Trade for a Rick 4003 in ruby red?