1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

FS: 1978 RICKENBACKER 4001

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by chromium, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chromium

chromium Supporting Member

I've owned this Ric for around 25 years, and have kept it in exceptional condition. It was seldom used in that time, as my main bass was a fretless. I had hand-picked this one from a store (Rockin' Robin in Houston) that had about a dozen 4001s for sale at the time (mid-late 80s), and it was by far the best player of the bunch. Hate to let it go, but ever since getting my dream Ric - a 73 jetglo - this one has just sat.

Features and characteristics:
    - The neck on this one is amazing! Slender all the way up, and has held a perfect relief the entire time I've owned it. Capable of very low action
    - I just recently pulled, inspected, and shaped the rods so that the new owner can adjust the bass easily if desired. I presently have it setup with medium-low action and a recent set of EXL-170s
    - The overall condition is remarkable, and there are only a few blems - minor one on the headstock face, one on the body just above the E string between the bridge p/u and bridge, a few minor dings around the body and headstock edges, and some minor wear on the metalwork
    - I have the bridge pickup cap bypassed, but it can be reversed easily (left the cap in place)
    - Beautiful figuring in the wood
    - Weight is a comfortable 9.6 lbs
    - There is some minor fret wear under the A and D strings on the 1st-10th frets (see photos), but nothing that is in any way problematic. This wear was present when I bought the bass in the 80s, it has never been a problem, and I've mostly run flats and just recently nickel rounds on the bass
    - Includes the original gigbag that came with it when I bought it

Price and terms:
    $1799 including shipping/insurance to the lower 48 via USPS. I can accept payment via Paypal, Postal MO, or wire.

I will consider International shipping; however the buyer will need to assume some risk due to USPS insurance limits. PM me to discuss.

Not seeking trades at this time.

Thank you for looking! This is a fantastic Ric, and I hope it can find a good home where it will see the use it deserves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been pointed out to me in the past that the bridge pickup surround was installed backwards; however, if attempting to reverse it the holes do not line up. It has always been oriented this way, and looks to be factory original. Kind of a cool anomaly!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another anomaly is the missing screw on the jack plate. The screw was not present when I bought the bass, and it looks like it might have never been there...
    [​IMG]

Serial RH4374
    [​IMG]

Minor fret wear:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All original wiring, with wire bypassing the bridge cap:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had noticed that the truss rod nuts were tilted downward a bit, requiring use of a tiny open-ended wrench to adjust. I recently removed the rods, inspected and adjusted them so that a new owner can fit a standard 1/4" nut driver on to adjust in the future...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it fits!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

You certainly have a thing for maple/natural finishes! Its matching JS-II cousin says hello. Free bump for a great TB'er who knows his ins and outs of mechanics the rest of us steer clear of!
  3. chromium

Hey Dan! Glad the Guild is treating you well - that was a sweet bass. I'm still glued to my Triumph and Tbird - both with that same natural finish. It's not intentional... I swear! :D
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I am not in the market for a Ric right now but I got to say
    your camera work is better than I have seen by the pros.
    Here is bump for you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chromium

Thanks!

Hopefully the truss rod pics don't scare off any of the uninitiated :D That's pretty much standard protocol for (early) Ric setups, and this one would be a nice bass for someone who does not have a Ric-friendly tech nearby. At least you know its all mechanically sound, the rods are oriented in the channels correctly, and you won't have to grind down a wrench to get it to fit over the bolts it you ever want to adjust the relief later on... No unpleasantries lurking in there - this one's all plug-and-play :bassist:
  7. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    ...wantitwantitwantitwantitwantitwantit... (that's "want it," not wan tit) ...
  8. chromium

Some shots of the 78 with its evil cousin... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Free bump with a question: what year did they change the fret marker width? The Jetglo "evil twin" has much wider markers than the '78. I'm trying to become a Ric-knowldege geek, as that always impresses at parties, so it's a serious question.
  10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Some time in 1973 I'd say. I have a May '73 4001 (ME serial number prefix) and it does not have full width inlays

[​IMG]
  11. chromium

^^ I like that!! Jetglo is my fav. Your's looks great with the black 'guard.

Yeah 73 was a transitional year. I'm no expert on them either, but I think some of the features still present in the earliest 73s were the checkerboard binding, aluminum saddles, slotted bridge (in reference to that slot cut into the mute section on my black 73), full-width crushed pearl inlays, plexi TRC, and probably other stuff I'm not aware of... Mine is from March 73 (MC serial). It also has a strange bridge pickup surround with sharp corners, as opposed to the typical rounded corners.
  12. Pbass4003

Pbass4003

That's some real NICE grain! A+
  13. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Free BAH HUMBUG bump.

If Santa doesn't wiggle his fat a*s down my chimney with this Ric, I'm not gonna believe in him anymore.
  14. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

No kidding! Outstanding!
  15. WokenDeer

WokenDeer

Il be looking for another ric come February, if its still here I think this may be the one. I have an '08 4003 and I love the neck. Do you know if this neck is any different. I'd hate for it to be any thinner.
  16. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

The Chromed One has done all of the necessary footwork for you. This appears to be a great deal.
  17. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    DAMN that Santa Claus. He disappointed me once again.
  18. chromium

Hey DJ- happy holidays!

I'm not sure how it compares to the '08 4003. I have a 95 4003s/8 coming here soon, and so I'll have some point of reference, but I've also read that the 4003 necks vary quite a bit over the years.

Measurements on this one are roughly as follows.
    Width:
    1 11/16" @nut
    2 1/16" @12th fret
    2 1/4" @20th fret

Depth/thickness:
    13/16" under 1st fret
    7/8" under 12th fret
  19. chromium

Bump for any offers before dealing on Ebay (note: still can't do trades). If you've ever wanted some mapleglo in your life, now is the time!

:hyper:
  20. chromium

Tail-lift bump! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. chromium

The-cleanest-one-of-my-Rics bump! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.