1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD FS: 1980/83 MusicMan Stringray Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by chromium, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chromium

chromium Supporting Member

Well, here goes...
    So this used to be my main bass back in the mid-80s thru early 90s. Played fretless most of the time, and really loved this old 'Ray.

Problem is, I stopped playing fretless in the 90s and have hardly touched it since. I wanted to give it some time just in case my tastes swung back this way, and I think after almost 20 years(!) its safe to say that might not ever happen :D I usually go for the upright now when I want some fretless in my life.

I got this bass in the mid-80s as you see it here. It's funny, but for years I just assumed it was a Sabre! This was in the pre-Flea era, and I never really saw these around much at all at that time - nor did I have any knowledge of the brand or its models. Someone had obviously swapped the neck for a fretless at some point.

Features and characteristics:
    - Date codes show the neck as a 1980, and the body as 1983.
    - Fretless Sabre neck is 1.5" at the nut. It is fast, sleek, and slender! One of the nicest necks I've ever handled
    - Nice low action
    - Original mute pads still soft and supple, if you're into that
    - Weight is a comfortable 9.6 lbs
    - Comes with non-original HSC
    - It has been played, and the finish on the back of the neck (or lack thereof) shows it!
    - It has its share of body dings (see pics)

Everything works, feels, plays, and sounds beautiful! I would say "buy it before I come to my senses" and all that, but I've had around twenty years to think about this - so I'm good :D

Price and terms:
    [DEL]$1499[/DEL] SOLD plus actual shipping/insurance to the lower 48 via USPS. I can accept payment via Paypal, Postal MO, or wire.

I will consider International shipping; however the buyer will need to assume some risk due to USPS insurance limits. PM me to discuss.

Not seeking any trades at this time.

Thank you for looking! Whomever gets this will absolutely love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! Make sure to check out my other listing for a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001 MG:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-1978-rickenbacker-4001-a-941204/

2. chromium

Here are some shots of the case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fugly on the bottom- one hinge broken off and missing... but three out of four ain't bad:
    [​IMG]

All four latches work fine:
    [​IMG]

3. takeout

takeout

4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I'll echo that wow. What a stunner.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chromium

Thanks guys!

I had snapped some quick shots of the 'board for Chris, and wanted to share those back here as well... It's in great shape over its entire length - no gouges, trenches, etc. I've run flats on it since the 80s, and so that probably helped in that department.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. raal

raal

Top load is a great combination for those who want to run flats on a pre EB stingrayu as the break angle on the sadle can play you tricks in the strng thru body case.

I know this combination kills in matter of punch. Did digging the nut grooves deep into the neck help you get more "mwah" our of it?

8. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

How much for that 4001/8???

9. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

+10000!
    BeUtiful ray! Wish I had the dough....

10. chromium

Yeah - it was like that when I got it (re:the nut grooves), but it does exhibit the mwah and punch!

11. chromium

I looked a long time for that one! They come up, but most of the time at a price I would never consider paying. That one had some structural issues to sort out, but it's playing great now! Plays like a 4 almost, with the narrow string course spacing and ordering of the pairs (octave on bottom). Great for fingerstyle playing, which is something that I never really explored on an 8er prior to this.

12. chromium

The 'Ray is paid for and heading to Kansas on Monday...

Thanks, Chris!

:bassist:

13. takeout

takeout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.