1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

FS - 1983 Music Man Cutlass (1) $2,750

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by revlimitbounce, Dec 4, 2013.

1. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Supporting Member

Never thought I'd do this, but I rarely play my much-loved single-pickup Cutlass and have decided to sell it.

These are very rare, and even more so in this condition. I bought it many years ago at a vintage guitar show in Massachusetts when I lived back in NY. It's a Natural finish, has a black guard and is all-original as far as I know. I did at some point have the foam pad clips and screws and I will look for them, but can't guarantee I'll find them.

The case, while well-worn, is of that ribbed white finish used on some MM guitar amps of the time. I call this finish corduroy. Photos below.

As you may know, trying to precisely date these is tricky, but the serial number is B021073, which puts it in about May of 1983, going by bracketing dates on the pre-EB MM site listing. It is a string-through bass and also has a 4-bolt neck joint.

Also, the pots are 1377918, which would indicate 1979, so this merely confirms parts have little to do with actual manufacture or completion date! There are stories of Cutlasses being built as early as 1979, but I cannot state that unequivocally as I'm not a pre-EB MM authority. Just a fan and player!

I'm told by Dennis at The Bass Place in AZ (I brought it to him last week) that this has one of the straightest necks and minimally-worn frets he's seen. The bass is not flawless - it has a small chip of top coat missing from the top (E-string side) edge of the neck pocket (photo below). That's about it, though.

Electronically and mechanically, it is in top form. Everything works without issue. I used it on a four-track to record this tune many, many years ago (when I was focused on guitar; slap and pizzicato tones herein):

https://soundcloud.com/revlimitbounce/cars-with-torsion-bars

Price: This is a sentimental sale, a sale of a rare bass and one that's in quite remarkable condition. I've literally not needed to do any repair on it ever, except for fret polishing (not crowning). And I'm not going to give it away, with all respect to my bass brothers & sisters out there. So, I'm asking [DEL][DEL]$2,750[/DEL][/DEL], PayPal only, shipped to CONUS. UPDATE: Price lowered on 1/3/14 - FINAL lowered price to $2,600.

So here are the photos (would have posted images directly, but it didn't work for some reason, hence links), taken this week (not ancient photos showing a better-condition instrument).

Love to hear from you.

Thanks

Rev

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

I have the same year and these are amazing.I am a huge Ray fan so if you decide on any trades please let me know.If not glwts.
  3. revlimitbounce

What trades might you have? PM me if you want.
  4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

I had a Cutlass II and will attest to the stability and playability of these beautiful necks! Good luck with the sale, I wish I had the loot!

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. revlimitbounce

How'd you get that to embed?
  7. Double E

Used the insert image button in the advanced reply window and just pasted the image URL in there...easy peasy.

[​IMG]
  8. revlimitbounce

Yeah, that's what I did before and it didn't work....
  9. Double E

It is tricky to get the raw URL from flikr...go to "Grab the HTML/BBCode" and pick the size you want and then copy just the URL for the pic...should look something like this:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11211627854_d088a7eba0.jpg

You've got to clean out all the other gobble dee gook out of there.
  10. Double E

Actuall I see they have a selection for BB code...much simpler...just copy the whole thing into your post/reply

[​IMG]
    Untitled by jamesmresnick, on Flickr
  11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    All of you people are killing me with this bass!
    So... much... GAS!!! :D
  12. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Just awesome.
  13. bassman28

14. musicmaan

musicmaan

Daaaaaaaaaamn.... I've looked for years for one of these to come up... and now you post this.... If I hadn't just picked up my Dingwall, I would be all over it... I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight!
  15. bassman28

Pmd with trade choices
  16. fedenybass

fedenybass Supporting Member

Pardon my ignorance as I'm not familiar w/ cutlasses... Why does the back of the neck say modulus? Where the 2 companies working together? a stunning bass to look at!
  17. bassman28

18. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

As a proud cutlass 1 (fretless!) owner, I'll answer on behalf of the op. Yes, these were made with a genuine modulus neck. Apparently, there weren't very many made (I think the highest number I ever heard was 600), which is why they are so hard to come by.
  19. revlimitbounce

Correct. Modulus made the necks for Music Man.
  20. fedenybass

fedenybass Supporting Member

I look at classified daily and this would be my pic Of the week. Aesthetically pleasing to look at and unique. The sound sample is great too!
    I can't stop looking at this bass. Absolutely killer!
  21. revlimitbounce

Wow, thanks!

What does "Pic of the Week" mean exactly?

And I'm still having problems embedding the photos from Flickr directly.