FS: 1983 Westone Thunder III

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jeff Elkins, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

SOLD.

A truly sad day, but circumstances dictate that the '83 Westone Thunder III (version 1) that I picked up last Christmas needs to find a new home. It was a super-awesome nostalgia find, and a lovely holiday present for myself, but it's time to turn the investment around. I am the second owner.

Bass is all original except pickup selector switch. Unbelievably good shape for the age; some tarnishing on brass, one switch and pots are a little noisy. Original Hard Shell Case has a hole in the front through which the original selector switch made its last stand (before my time).
    Solid Canadian ash body, with a thru-neck (maple and walnut) with a 24 fret rosewood fingerboard and snowflake inlay position markers.
    P/J style pickups with 3-way selector switch, phase invert switch, 'dual tone' switch (pup series/parallel), and an active/passive switch with independent tone pots (VTT). Brass nut (1.5"), saddles and bridge, anodised aluminium brass effect backplates.

This bass has tone(s) for days. On a related note, it's about 10 lbs.

More info on these basses here:
    http://westone.info/thunder3abass.html

Also, there's a super cool group of Westone fans here on TB (in the Electra/Westone club)!

$500, will split shipping CONUS. Google Wallet preferred payment method, other options accepted. May consider partial trades. Will be pro packed and shipped Fedex.

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Elkins

More pics

Attached Files:

3. Jeff Elkins

4. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

I've wanted one of these for soooo long...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. circuitspore

circuitspore

A few questions - what is the width of the neck at the last fret and any idea on fretboard radius? Rolled or 'squared' fretboard edge?

One more - how does it balance sitting and standing w/ a strap? Thanks!
  7. Jeff Elkins

Width at 12th fret 2 3/16
    Width at last fret 2 7/16
    The radiusing seems to be a very close match for my P-bass neck (9.5"?), and not as low as my J-bass neck (7.25").
    There is a curve to the fingerboard end, but it's squared. If I understand your question. I'm adding two close-ups that should answer better!
    Balance: On a strap there's zero neck dive, though it does resist being played with the neck raised. It definitely wants to hang exactly level (this on a cheap strap or my good leather Levy). On my left leg, the bass sits wherever I want it to and stays there. On my right leg, however, the headstock wants to dive a bit to below level. Had to look for it to notice, though.
    Hope that information serves! Thanks for asking!

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Elkins

On hold pending payment.
  9. ed_sped2

ed_sped2 Supporting Member

Payment sent!
  10. Jeff Elkins

And SOLD.
    Thanks, Ed!

Thread Status: