1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS: 1983 Westone Thunder III

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jeff Elkins, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

SOLD.

A truly sad day, but circumstances dictate that the '83 Westone Thunder III (version 1) that I picked up last Christmas needs to find a new home. It was a super-awesome nostalgia find, and a lovely holiday present for myself, but it's time to turn the investment around. I am the second owner.

Bass is all original except pickup selector switch. Unbelievably good shape for the age; some tarnishing on brass, one switch and pots are a little noisy. Original Hard Shell Case has a hole in the front through which the original selector switch made its last stand (before my time).
    Solid Canadian ash body, with a thru-neck (maple and walnut) with a 24 fret rosewood fingerboard and snowflake inlay position markers.
    P/J style pickups with 3-way selector switch, phase invert switch, 'dual tone' switch (pup series/parallel), and an active/passive switch with independent tone pots (VTT). Brass nut (1.5"), saddles and bridge, anodised aluminium brass effect backplates.

This bass has tone(s) for days. On a related note, it's about 10 lbs.

More info on these basses here:
    http://westone.info/thunder3abass.html

Also, there's a super cool group of Westone fans here on TB (in the Electra/Westone club)!

$500, will split shipping CONUS. Google Wallet preferred payment method, other options accepted. May consider partial trades. Will be pro packed and shipped Fedex.

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Elkins

More pics

Attached Files:

3. Jeff Elkins

4. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

I've wanted one of these for soooo long...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. circuitspore

circuitspore Supporting Member

A few questions - what is the width of the neck at the last fret and any idea on fretboard radius? Rolled or 'squared' fretboard edge?

One more - how does it balance sitting and standing w/ a strap? Thanks!
  7. Jeff Elkins

Width at 12th fret 2 3/16
    Width at last fret 2 7/16
    The radiusing seems to be a very close match for my P-bass neck (9.5"?), and not as low as my J-bass neck (7.25").
    There is a curve to the fingerboard end, but it's squared. If I understand your question. I'm adding two close-ups that should answer better!
    Balance: On a strap there's zero neck dive, though it does resist being played with the neck raised. It definitely wants to hang exactly level (this on a cheap strap or my good leather Levy). On my left leg, the bass sits wherever I want it to and stays there. On my right leg, however, the headstock wants to dive a bit to below level. Had to look for it to notice, though.
    Hope that information serves! Thanks for asking!

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Elkins

On hold pending payment.
  9. ed_sped2

ed_sped2 Supporting Member

Payment sent!
  10. Jeff Elkins

And SOLD.
    Thanks, Ed!

Thread Status: