1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

FS: 1991 Ernie Ball MusicMan StingRay 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by thisSNsucks, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Hi all,

I picked this up not too long ago, and while it is a killer bass, I'm a 4 string guy at heart. I also just picked up another bass, so as finances dictate, I must let this go.

Anyway it's a 1991 Ernie Ball MusicMan StingRay 5 in a beautiful Blueburst finish.

This is a favorite era of StingRay 5's for a lot of players, and after playing this one, I sure know why.

It has the Alnico pickup, and the original 3 band preamp. This one does have some slight hum in the first two positions (series and single coil positions) but its not too noticeable. The classic parallel setting is noise free.

This one has a poplar body I believe, based on the grain. Maple neck and maple fingerboard are both finished but are broken in nicely, which is really nice (see pics).

It weighs right around 10lbs. on the old bathroom scale, but balances perfectly.

She's a player for sure. She's got a few little bumps and bruises, but nothing terrible. There is a spot on the back of the neck that wore through the finish.

The worst of the damage is that at some point the strap peg screw snapped off, and one of the previous owners just drilled the new peg right next to it. you can't see it from the front of the bass, and as soon as you put as strap on it, you can't see it.

On the plus side, this bass sounds tremendous. I have it set up with nice low action (a little lower than 3/32" at the 17th fret) and the B string is nice and tight, and speaks with authority.

It is currently strung with a brand new set of D'Addario Nickel rounds 130-45. It also has Dunlop strap lock pegs, but I do not have the strap ends.

Anyway I'm going to ask $1200 shipped within the continental US. PayPal or Money Order. I may have a beat up old hardshell case that it will fit in for shipping, otherwise I will double box it.

PM me with any questions or offers.

No Trades please!
  2. thisSNsucks

Now for pics!

The blue burst finish is kind of hard to photograph, and comes out a little green when I use flash. The picture of the back of the bass body is probably the most accurate representation of color.

[​IMG]

This is pretty much what the color looks like in person.

[​IMG]

The ugly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice, low, buzz free action

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. thisSNsucks

4. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Man these are my favorite...wish I had something for you to trade!!! (well, I do but...) :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thisSNsucks

Don't tempt me Jaymi, you always have cool stuff!

Sunday Funday Bump.
  7. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    I have some really cool but..... ;)
  8. jpeck02

jpeck02

Had this exact bass in 1991. Very nice. GLWTS.
  9. thisSNsucks

This bad boy is SOLD!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.