For Sale FS: 2004 Music Man Stingray 5, Limited Radiant Red Metallic / Rosewood

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by DBlakley, Apr 13, 2014.

1. DBlakley

DBlakley Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Basses
    For Sale:
    Ernie Ball Music Man Sting Ray 5, bought new by me at Guitar Center Dallas in 2004.

Limited "Radiant Red" metallic finish with original white pearloid guard, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck (no birds-eye to be found), Hipshot d-tuner and original hardshell case. I don't know what the body is, but she weighs 10 lbs.

The only modifications I've made to it are the hipshot and strap lock buttons. I've put the original strap buttons back on with their nylon washers since I took the pictures last week. The original machine head and screws will be included. If you want pictures with the old buttons on, let me know.

I'd call the condition VG to Excellent. There is quite a bit of glare and reflection in these pictures that look like they could be faults but I've detailed the only defects: a couple of extremely minor scratch marks by both the bottom strap button and the input jack, and a little bit of minor scuffing on top of the headstock. The only noteable blemish is on the bevel of the body where your right arm lays. I've done my best to photograph it.. I've got the scuff circled in each picture. Anything else you see is glare.

Fretwear is excellent, with the only noteable indentions being the "slap marks" on the last fret at the end of the board.

This color is very difficult to get accurate pictures of, but the outdoor pics in the sunlight are most accurate. It really is stunning in-person! Hopefully the combination of indoor & outdoor pics give you a good enough idea.

I've had it for almost a decade, but it has only received light studio use and a very small handful of gigs (less than 5.. most notably Mike Portnoy's Progressive Nation at Sea a few months back with Eumeria). Recording-wise, I used it on a few tracks on Thought Chamber's "Angular Perceptions" and Eumeria's debut disc.

Reason for sale: paying for the Lakland 55-94 I just bought!

$1250 plus shipping & insurance. I can't think of anything I'd trade for at the moment. If you're in the D/FW area and want a play, let me know.

Obviously I've never sold anything here before, so feel free to PM long-time friends ToeJam76 and Jim Miller for personal references if you'd like.

Thanks for looking!

Derek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Gecko 5 likes this.
  2. Gecko 5

Gecko 5

Very nice!!

DBlakley likes this.
  3. DBlakley

Disclosures:
    Thanks! With the (I think) gold flake in the red, it's really striking. In a few of these pictures it looks like there's a bit of pink in there, but that's just my mediocre camera. The pictures outdoors in the sunlight are accurate.

She's been great when I've needed her, but I've really grown dependent on the 35" scale string tension & feel. Time for her to find a new home.

4. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

OMG! Angular Perceptions is brilliant!!! One of my top 10 prog albums.

Which tracks did you use this on? Your fingerstyle on that album was amazing and slap playing was beautifully tasteful and in context. I'm tempted to buy this more as a collectors item than as an actual gig bass.

This would be like buying Jonas's Yamaha. (True prog guys would get that reference) :)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    DBlakley likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DBlakley

Disclosures:
    Ahh, thank you so much! That album was a ton of fun & hard work to put together.. really proud of it, too. :)

That was the first disc I'd ever done where I was recording at home in the bedroom, so I did multiple takes of songs with different basses.. and in some cases I'm not entirely sure which bass ended up on which song.

My KL and Dingwall are on there quite a bit, but I know the StingRay ended up on God of Oblique because I remember running two tracks.. one through the Avalon pre and one distorted through my old Pearce BC1 Sheehan mod preamp. It's probably on at least one other track, but I'd have to have access to the original sessions to tell for sure which.

7. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

8. DBlakley

Disclosures:
    weight correction: 10lbs even.

9. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

She's gorgeous, but my wife would kill me! I might get away with a Ray 35....but, no, I can't do it, no really I can't (keep repeating...) no, must not... NO!

huckleberry1 and DBlakley like this.
  10. Larry Cotten

Larry Cotten

Would you trade for a USA Cirrus 5?

DBlakley likes this.
  11. DBlakley

Disclosures:
    Sorry, mate. Sale only, most likely.

12. iualum

iualum

Lovely color. I just need a maple fb. GLWTS.

13. DBlakley

Disclosures:
    Thanks! Cheers, bud.

14. DBlakley

Disclosures: