1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

FS 2011 MM Stingray 5 Nice 1/4 sawn Neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gmarcus, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

I bought this here a few months ago and have enjoyed playing it, however I realized that I like the sound of a P-bass. I keep trying to make this sound like a P-bass with eq and flat wound strings, but it really needs to be a Stingray. It wants to be a Stingray and it is pissed off at me for trying to make it sound like a P-bass. So after a long discussion we have decided to part ways.

This one is a black beauty of an SR5! Almost perfect condition. It has been played so there are some scuffs on the pick guard. If you go over it with a magnifying glass I'm sure you will find some small scratches to lets call it a 9 out of 10. I bumped the G string tuning ear and it bent ever so slightly, but does not effect the tuning at all and you can't even see the bend unless you really study it.

Weight is about 10lbs (bathroom scale)

The neck is a really nice piece of quarter sawn wood as you can see by the grain in the pictures.

It has an Alnico Humbucker like all of the 2011s. At some point in the past they made the SR5's with ceramic magnets that made them sound more like a Sterling than a Stingray, but the later years went back to Alnico. So this has the aggressive growly stingray sound.

Right now it is strung with TI jazz flats which I'd like to keep. I can sell it with D'Addario Chrome flats (about 1 week of practice on them) or 1 month old slinky round wounds that came with the bass. If you really really want the TI's maybe we can work out a deal, but they are $100 strings.

Price is an easy on the pocket $1050 + actual shipping
    with original hard shell case, shipping box and some of the case candy

I'd like to sell it locally if possible in the Boston Area, but I will ship.

Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. gmarcus

I'll also include some pictures from the old thread which are better

Attached Files:

3. gmarcus

Front and back

Attached Files:

4. gmarcus

I took the sticker off of the back

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gmarcus

The case has never left my house and stays under the bed in its shipping carton

Attached Files:

7. Kobilly

Kobilly Supporting Member

8. gmarcus

Maybe a nice super 12 or 15 cabinet + cash or + a class D head

I have too many basses.
  9. gmarcus

I might trade for an interesting light weight 5 string headless bass. Hit me up with trade offer's!
  10. gmarcus

Sold Locally!
  11. gmarcus

Buyer Flaked out.

Considering trades pm me with anything of similar value. 34" five strings that are light weight, Light weight high end combos, PA speakers. MacBook Pro with Ableton live etc.
  12. gmarcus

Its a really nice bass bump
  13. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

that's a nice one. quartersawn necks are rare on stingrays.
  14. gmarcus

Yeah I was surprised when I got it. The grain is almost perfectly lined up perpendicular to the fret board. I keep hesitating to sell it.
  15. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Aaaaah! I'm so close to buying this! I'm really looking for a SR 5 in sunburst finish but the black is just so classy, especially with that neck
  16. gmarcus

Black on black fits any gig from death metal to a wedding ;-)
  17. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

I played this off and on for a few months, and it never needed a truss rod adjustment. (maybe the 1/4 sawn part).
    The B was one of the best for 34" scale basses I ever owned. (The other was a Big Al). I actually miss it, but am exploring 35" and Dingwall 37" or I would buy it back.
    Balances perfectly, and on the wide style strap not tiring.
    You will not be disappointed. No deadspots either. GLWTS
  18. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

You guys aren't making this easy on me...I want to go play some HH models before I'm sure what I want but this is very tempting
  19. gmarcus

Hey mtngrown I played this bass a lot too and you are right about the B string and stability of this neck. I only tweaked the truss rod when setting it up for new strings. That wheel truss rod adjuster is brilliant. I will probably regret selling this.
  20. gmarcus

21. Meshuggah604

Meshuggah604

PM coming. I could see a trade working out here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.