SOLD FS: '73 Ampeg V-4B w/new matching Fliptops 410 SACRAMENTO AREA

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by SactoBass, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

SOLD! SOLD! SOLD!

Local sale only! No shipping. I am located in the Sacramento area of California.

I do this. I buy stuff, keep it for a while (in my non-smoking home) without using it, and then turn around and sell it, usually at a loss. It’s a disease I guess. My wife just smiles and shakes her head, but I suppose there are worse habits for a 57 year old guy to have, eh? Well, here we have a 1973 Ampeg V-4B all-tube 120-watt bass amp, and a brand new matching Fliptops 410 sealed (non-ported) cab rated at 600 watts RMS. The cab has four Eminence B-810 speakers (ceramic magnets, not neos!) The cab is mint (it's brand new). The amp is in excellent condition for a 41 year old amp. The amp circuitry has never been modded.

I had my tube amp tech (Shane Manning at Tubesonic in Sacramento) go through the entire amp in August 2013. I gave him some new NOS (new old stock) tubes to install, and he checked all caps and circuit components. He ended up replacing six capacitors. He also tested the new tubes I gave him (he is very thorough). The bill came to $374.86 including parts and labor (plus the $65 diagnostic fee). That bill did not include what I paid separately for the NOS tubes! You won't find any cheaply-made tubes in this amp! No way! I only use NOS tubes. The amp now has a 100% clean bill of health with new high-quality NOS tubes, so this 41-year old amp is "good to go" for another 41 years! The only thing my 57 year old brain forgot to ask him to do is swap out the "standby" light which is apparently burned out. Those are readily available at Fliptops for $8 if you are so inclined to swap it out. The red power light works fine. The amp has a three-prong power cord.

The amp is 27" wide. The cab is also 27" wide. A perfect match. And the cab has those round dish thingies on the top for the amp feet to fit in, and they line up perfectly which locks in the amp head so it can't slide around on top of the cab. The cab is 8-ohms. The amp has a selector switch on the back that lets you choose 8-ohms, 4-ohms, or 2-ohms.
    The tube complement in the V-4B is:

• 7027A Power Tubes, 4
    • 12DW7 Preamp Tube, 1
    • 12AX7 Preamp Tube, 2
    • 12AU7 Driver Tube, 1
    • 6k11 Preamp Tube, 1

I will not sell the amp or cab separately. The amp and cab are made to go together and stay together as a matched pair.

And as for the tone? Mouth-watering! Everything you have read about the tone of the early 70's Ampeg V-4B amps is true. Tube tone for days. There is nothing like it! I have been playing bass (as a hobby) for over 40 years, and this is one of the best sounding rigs I have ever heard. But be warned: once you get used to the tone of a vintage Ampeg all-tube rig like this, it will spoil you and you won't want to play through solid state amps anymore (at least that's what happened to me). And this amp will get VERY loud!

The vintage Ampeg V-4B's are spring mounted in the case, so it absorbs shock. This helps isolate cab vibration from the tubes in the amp. Smart design.

As a bonus, I will throw in a top-of-the-line 10-gauge Silverflex 3-foot speaker cable that has gold 1/4" connectors (it's shown in the pics). This cable (that cost $50) is the perfect speaker cable for this bass rig (or any bass rig, for that matter!) These are the absolute best speaker cables available.

Local pick-up only. If you happen to be located in the San Francisco Bay area, I would be happy to meet you half way in Vacaville to deliver the rig to you.

My asking price is $1350 local sale only. The amp alone is worth over $1000 due to the recent tech work and the NOS tubes. I am aware that you can find V-4B's for less, but in most cases the caps are in need of replacement as well as the tubes, and the condition of those amps are less than desirable. The V-4B that I am selling is in excellent condition both cosmetically as well as internally, and is ready to go on stage right now and be played for years and years, with a matching cab that rocks!

No trades. All items sold "as is". No warranty expressed or implied. No returns.

I’m the trustworthy type, with 100% positive feedback on TB, and over 100 feedbacks on the ‘bay, all 100% positive.

Click on the pics to enlarge......

Attached Files:

• V4B9.JPG
      V4B9.JPG
      File size:
      104.9 KB
      Views:
    • V4B2.JPG
      V4B2.JPG
      File size:
      118.7 KB
      Views:
  2. SactoBass

More pics...

Attached Files:

3. SactoBass

Two more pics...

Attached Files:

4. SactoBass

Still more pics...

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

And more pics...

Attached Files:

7. SactoBass

August 2013 tech invoice...

Attached Files:

• V4B1.JPG
      V4B1.JPG
      File size:
      88.3 KB
      Views:
  8. paddydukes

paddydukes

That is a mighty fine looking rig there!

9. SactoBass

Why......thank you! Nice avatar there! :)

10. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Bump for a super nice rig.

11. squidbass

squidbass

Man I wish I lived a little further out west I would be all over that! Bump for a super cool guy and TB member.

12. SactoBass

Thank you Map and Squid for those nice comments. I really appreciate it!

13. SactoBass

Vintage tube tone bump.

14. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Nice set up. Just met Shane this weekend. Seems like a really nice guy. All that to say... bump!

15. SactoBass

Yep, Shane is "the man" when it comes to tube amp tech work. He knows his stuff, and his specialty is vintage Ampeg tube amps such as this V-4B that he completely went through. I have a handful of the old parts that he took out and replaced (capacitors, etc.)

Shane owns an early 70's V-4B himself, and when he saw mine, he said "I'm jealous" because the cosmetics on mine (faceplate, grill, tolex, etc) is in better condition than his.

Shane is a real stickler on making sure a tube amp is maintained to original spec. And he owns a very expensive tube tester that he uses to test all tubes, even new old stock (NOS) tubes such as the ones I had purchased and gave him to install in the V-4B. Some of the NOS tubes I had purchased didn't meet his strict requirements, so I went back and bought more NOS tubes until I found ones that met Shane's strict requirements.

16. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

Tell me more about the cab? Is this a custom cab from Fliptops? What is the impedance (ohms)? I'm also curious about the Ampeg logo. I wasn't aware that the V4B had a logo in '73.

17. 4to5to6

Just found the cab on Fliptops... According to my rough calculations this cab would be $675 to get made! This is an amazing deal! If you will ship this to Seattle, I will buy it for the asking price and pay for the shipping. Let me know. Thanks.

18. SactoBass

Thanks 4to5to6. Yes, I believe that is what I paid for the cab from Fliptops.

At this time, I am looking to keep it a local sale. I am receiving a significant amount of interest in this rig, so I feel confident that a local sale will happen. If, after a couple of weeks or so, I haven't sold it locally, I will then open it up to shipping.

Thank you for your interest, good sir! :)

19. 4to5to6

Too bad. I could really use this and have been searching for a while now. I realize it's a bit of a hassle to ship it but if you change your mind I'll instantly get it from you.

20. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

21. SactoBass

Thank you GB! I really appreciate that!

Bumpin it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.