SOLD FS - 73' Guild JS II Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by whoatherechunk, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

Guild JS II Bass [DEL]$600[/DEL] [DEL]$550 [/DEL] $500 OBO - CONUS Shipped

Up for sale is a 73' Guild JS II bass. I purchased this bass off of a friend about 4 years ago with the intent of fixing it up. As seen in the photos, the body has been played and has a relic'd look after many years of use. The body is covered with finish checking, chips, and nicks. Unfortunately, during some point in this bass' life, the original "harp" bridge was removed and replaced with an original Leo Quan BadAss I Bass Bridge. While those are great bridges, I advise that this bass needs a low profile bridge since the previous bridge was putting on additional strain on the neck. The saddles were grooved rather deeply to compensate for the height but preferably an after-market low profile bridge or another Guild/Hagstrom "harp" bridge is needed for this bass to start rocking again. The numbers "7734733" were carved into the "E" tuning machine and onto the electronic backplate. I guess the previous owner was trying to take every precaution in case it was stolen. Ha. Everything on this bass seems to be original minus the BadAss bridge. The neck has been straightened but I recommend a light string gauge to avoid excessive tension on the neck. The truss rod does work. The bass is currently unstrung and the truss rod is loosened. The bass has the OHSC. The top side looks a bit warped when looking at levelly, but it still does it's job. I have debated parting it out but I would prefer to sell it as a whole. Ideally, this would be a great bass for a luthier, a person who wants a bass project , or somebody that needs parts for their Guild. It's gonna need some work but I'm sure it'll be a mojo filled beast with a solid tune up. I want to be completely honest about the condition of the bass so if you have any question or want more pics please contact me. It's just a bit much to detail every part of the bass, but as I said it definitely has been put through some good use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

There has been a sea change in opinion regarding the Guild humbucker pickups. They are coming back in fashion. This might be a nice bass to mod to your preference if you like a slim necked bass.

3. whoatherechunk

4. whoatherechunk

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. whoatherechunk

7. whoatherechunk

Shoot me some offers. Bump.

8. whoatherechunk

I'm seriously considering parting this out! So if you want the whole shebang let me know!

9. hifibass

hifibass Supporting Member

I bought one of these new in '72 or '73 (wire in Stereo w/a truss rod cover stating this) and played it six nights a week for about 2 years. Broke a couple of strings every week, never had this happen on a bass before or since. The original bridge, with rosewood saddles, was........ well, lacking. Had I had access to a quality replacement bridge like the BadAss here I surely would have made the same mod.

Overall I loved the bass, easiest to play that I've ever owned and sounded great.

10. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Doesn't Mike Watt seriously need to be checking this thing out?

It's not only got a certain amount of Watt vibe, I think it would also be Asheton-appropriate for his Stooges gig.

11. whoatherechunk

This thing is a total Watt machine! Also if anyone is interested, I will be considering parting this thing out.

12. whoatherechunk

13. whoatherechunk

Closing this thread since I began to piece out the bass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.