FS: Acoustic 136 combo bass amp in Orange County, Calif.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Bob Lee (QSC), Dec 13, 2013.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Acoustic 136 combo bass amp for sale

125 watt amp section
    Two instrument inputs, each with its own bass, treble, and volume controls, bright switch, and dual input jacks
    Single 15" (original Eminence driver) in a bass reflex enclosure
    Solid state electronics, all in great shape

Vintage combo amp manufactured in 1978 by Acoustic Control Corp. of Van Nuys, California. (I bought it used in October 1979 in Hartford, Connecticut.)
    Its amp section is rated at 125 watts, but the loudspeaker and cabinet are quite efficient; this thing can get really loud.
    The Tolex covering shows some wear and scuffing but is all intact and in good shape.
    The bass, treble, and volume pots are all cleaned and lubed with Caig FaderLube.
    I've checked over the internal electronics well. The power transformer and reservoir cap in the power supply show no signs of overheating; AC ripple on the supply rails is extremely low, especially considering it's a 35-plus-year-old amp.

Includes printed service manual and speaker cable.

$300 obo

E-mail: bob_lee at sbcglobal dot net

I would prefer local pickup or delivery.
    The amp's size and weight would make packing and shipping kind of expensive, though not impossible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

How much does this bad boy weigh?

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I think it's around 80 lb.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Disclosures:
    I've found a couple online resources that agree on the ~80 lb figure for that model.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Bump for a seriously under rated combo amp

I had a brand new one of these for my first "real" bass amp and it never failed to take names and kick ass. I can tell you from first hand experience that it will keep up with (or surpass) the dB level of most any 'portable' guitar amp shy of a dimed Fender Twin Reverb, and better yet, much of that SPL will be remarkably clean low-end grunt courtesy of the ported cab

What it will not do is give you thick SVT-style distortion, but then again no 100% solid-state amplifier will. OTOH if you're looking for clean and mean in a reasonably portable machine, this is a one-piece package to seriously consider

It'll fit in the back seat of many compact cars, is a piece of cake to roll around on the removable casters, and my recollection squares well with the ~80lbs weight mentioned above: a strong person can lift it alone and with two people, stairs and other such obstacles are not that big a deal

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Disclosures:
    Thanks! I've hauled this amp up and down staircases and hoisted it on and off stages by myself many times. It's heavy but the handle on the side is well located.

Still available!

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Disclosures:
  9. James Simonson

James Simonson

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball, LaBella Strings
    Bump for a valued TB'er

Bob Lee knows how amps work on the deepest level..

10. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Bump. Did easily over a hundred gigs with a guy who used one of these in latin and latin-jazz bands in the early '80's. Great amp, even though a bit of pig to lug around.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Disclosures: