FS: Beautiful Custom Fretless P-style Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dee-man, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Howdy, TB. Never thought I'd sell this beauty because it sounds and feels so great, but I've finally admitted to myself that I need lines to play fretless properly and this bass needs a home where it'll get more attention.

The bass was made in 2006 by a luthier in Massachusetts and is known as the "Wharf Bass" for some reason. The body is solid African Mahogany, with a quartersawn maple neck and flawless ebony board. 34" scale. Nut width just under 1 3/4. 19 mm spacing at the bridge. The neck was shaped after a 1959-P-neck, a tad smaller than a oval C neck. There are side dots on the side of the fingerboard. Weighs around 8 1/2 lbs. Very comfortable.

I got it here on TB from the original owner, where you can also see pics:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/custom-fretless-4-string-779485/

Since I got it, I added two small custom ebony or mahogany (I forget which) thumbrests (there's only 1 on the bass now but both will be included). Unfortunately, I didn't do the best job initially placing the thumbrests and so there a few extra holes in the pickguard that you can't see unless you look very close. I've also had my tech give it a once-over and add a Bill Lawrence Q filter to expand the tonal possibilities. The tone knob is now a push-pull that has the original tone capacitor and knob plus the Q filter. Very nice.

Overall, the bass plays and sounds fantastic and is in excellent condition. There are a few minor marks and dings on the body that can only be seen very close up and, even then, sometimes only from a certain angle, and I'm being very picky in mentioning most of these. Not sure which were there already when I got it. The bass is still strung with TI jazz flats, the woods are beautiful and highly resonant, and the pickups are hot and sound great. The bass really puts out. Some pics taken 9/22/12 of the body and its minor warts can be seen here:

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/Dee-man5/Custom P fretless/

Asking $950/obo shipped CONUS. [PRICE DROP BELOW] Paypal is okay. I don't have a gig bag for this bass but will make sure it's well-packed, etc.

Thanks for looking, DM
  2. Dee-man

Friday bump. This is an awesome bass - super quality build and materials. You won't be disappointed.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Hi,

I might have to get this back.
    Can you show pictures of bass with thumbrest and push-pull knob ?
  4. Dee-man

That would be nice! I'll try to post a pic of the thumbrest and pickguard. The push-pull is internal so the bass still looks the same with the original 2 knobs. When pulled out, the tone knob is about 1/8" or less from the body. Thanks for looking, DM
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Where is link ????
  7. Dee-man

8. Dee-man

Tuesday bump.

This is one of those unheard of basses you just have to play to see how wonderful it is. I'm tempted to give a money back guarantee to the buyer (less transaction/shipping costs), so hit me up.

Also, I'm trying to lessen my gear, but will consider trades for quality gear that I can flip or possibly acoustic/electric basses or quality preamps.
  9. Dee-man

Friday bump.

Price drop to $900/obo.

Trades considered (short/medium scale basses, acoustic/electric basses, rack preamps, or quality gear I can flip).
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Bump for WOW that's pretty, but out of my price range!
  11. Dee-man

Still open to reasonable offers and trades.
  12. Dee-man

13. Dee-man

Sold locally pending payment.