1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS, but now considering trades: Fender USA Deluxe fretless Jazz w/ major upgrades!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Apr 1, 2014.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Re-listing w/ trade options.

Well, folks, divorce is forcing the sale of some basses. On the bright side, my house sold within 30 hours of it being listed. :hyper:

This is actually a hybrid of two Fender American Deluxe Jazz basses. The body is a 2007, alder, originally black. I had Pat Wilkins (http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/) re-finish it in martini olive green metallic and it's amazing. The neck is a 2003. It was sold to me as a factory lined fretless, but researching further I don't think Fender ever made lined factory fretless American Deluxe basses with dot inlays. So I'm guessing it was a fretless conversion, but it was done so perfectly that you'd never know. Beautiful Indian rosewood fingerboard with gorgeous abalone dot inlays. Professionally coated in hard polyester by Pat Wilkins - it's amazing and looks like glass. The neck itself is maple with an incredible fast and smooth satin finish. The neck is in great shape save for some minor dings on the top. Adrian Chandler from Pickguard Heaven made me a beautiful 3-ply pearloid white pickguard for it. The pickups are the DiMarzio Model J series with creme covers. The preamp is a 2-band from Andy Rothstein (http://www.guitar-mod.com/) and features vol/vol/treb/bass w/ active/passive AND series/parallel push-pull pots. I will e-mail you the preamp schematic if you are interested. Fender American deluxe string-through body bridge. Pickups and preamp professionally installed at Dietze music here in Omaha.

Weight? Right around 8.75 lbs. These have smaller-than-standard Jazz style bodies and Fender uses lightweight alder. Very comfortable.

I just installed a set of GHS Pressurewounds - 34" scale, .040 - .096 gauge. Action is good, but can be adjusted to your liking.

I will ship this baby in a nice Gator double gig bag.

My price is $825 + shipping - lower 48 - or best reasonable offer. I'm open to international shipping if you pay actual shipping and are patient with me while I figure out how to box it up separately (neck and body.) Domestic sales will be given priority; just easier. I have at least $1500-$1600, maybe more, invested in this bass. :meh:

Now considering trades. I see the value in owning a fretless (4 string only) so would consider one in trade. Prefer a J bass with a chunkier 60s style neck. If I could do slim, modern necks, I would keep this bass. Also prefer passive. A Jaco J-bass would be perfect, though I'm burnt out on sunburst. A fretted fiesta red Fender Road Worn series would be great... ideally I'd like a fiesta red Road Worn body with a Jaco neck... best of all worlds. Will consider Carvin, G&L, or anything else really. Four string only.

I have a sound clip of this bass...well, it's actually a video of my carpet...lol. If you forgive the sub-par playing/crummy sound quality, you'll get an idea of the tone. Hopefully this link works:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxnICb3Gt9DpYVlicHVEdDB1elk/edit?usp=sharing

Pics below:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Holdsg

Holdsg Supporting Member

Very cool bass
  3. tjoTim

tjoTim Supporting Member

Cool bass with a cool story! There is a lot of love (and money) in those upgrades. GLWTS!
  4. TimBosby

Thank you!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BbBlues

BbBlues

That neck looks just like the necks on the fretless basses in my frontline fender magazines that I lusted after for many years. They did have dot inlays. So I do believe it is an original fretless not a conversion.
    Wish I had a worthy trade to offer.
  7. TimBosby

You may be right!

There's some stuff I want so... cash sale is king. Bump! I'd probably make you a pretty sweet deal if you have $ ready.
  8. TimBosby

Trade deal pending.