1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS: Dingwall Afterburner II "X-top" burlburst

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by groovaholic, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovaholic

groovaholic Supporting Member

This bass has been my #1 bass from the get-go, but my musical needs are far less demanding than my financial needs at the moment.

**The photo in the ad is the Dingwall shop "new baby" photo -- my pic files are too big to post here so I've published them on Google pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/107439893240641267395/albums/5818138062215503985**

It has a beautiful burl X-top finished in a classic sunburst finish that comes across as reddish or brownish depending on what kind of light you're under.

Electronics are Dingwall FD3 pickups with an 18v Aguilar OBP-2 preamp; bass is boost-only, and the treble is boost/cut and also works as a passive tone control when the bass is in passive mode. Passive mode is accessed with the mini-switch.

Other controls are master volume and pickup BLEND; the blend control allows a lot of 60/40 mixes that, honestly, are where I spend most of my time – I think they make the bass more flexible.

Most of the ABII's have walnut necks, and this one might be walnut too, but it looks more like bubinga to me.

Looking at the back of the body, it seems like this bass might be using the "dual density" principle that was first used on the Z-series basses; the walnut on the bass side has a lot more growth rings (more dense) than the treble side.

There is one noteworthy flaw on the bass; there is a small nick on the back of the headstock by the "E" tuner. I've taken a close-up of that (which, like all my photos, will have to be e-mailed to you)

There is also some finish "hazing" around the tops of the pickups from where I anchor my thumb; it could probably be buffed out (Meguiars "Scratch X" works) but rather than risk scratching the bass, I'll leave that up to the new owner if it bugs them.

But all in all, this is a fantastic bass in fantastic shape. It sounds amazing, plays extremely well, balances perfectly, and makes whoever is holding it instantly more attractive.

The bass will ship in an AXE MUSIC flight case that came with my former Dingwall Z2; it's a perfect fit and will ensure that the bass arrives intact.

Bass is currently equipped with Schaller straplocks, but I can install Dunlops if you prefer them.

Finally, the bass will ship with fresh strings installed and all my backup strings included. Any used strings have been soaked in denatured alcohol to bring them back to 90% new, but with a more broken-in feel.

PM me for more details, more photos, or if you just want to set up payment RIGHT NOW.

$[DEL]2800[/DEL]$2550/obo

Thanks!

John

Attached Files:

2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Oh sweet jumpin' jesus on a pogo stick. DO WANT! Unfortunately, DO NOT HAVE $2900 right now...

Don't suppose you'd be interested in any 4- or 5-string trades, would you? I may even have some guitars kicking around, if that was your thing...
  3. groovaholic

Any trades would have to be for mid-level basses and $2000 or more in cash: I'm not looking for another high-end bass, and I need to pay off some medical bills.

My main trade interest right now would be in 700-series or higher Ibanez ATKs, USA Peavey Cirrus, older G&L L-2000, possibly a Yamaha TRB1004, a Robin Freedom bass (rare, but welcomed) etc.

But preference would be given to a straight sale.

Thanks!

John
  4. groovaholic

Updated with a link to the PICS.
    Strings were removed to better show the finish, also to clean the fretboard and put new strings on the bass.
    (Added benefit was to keep me from playing it and changing my mind)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groovaholic

I'll run this ad for 5 days before placing the bass on eBay.
  7. groovaholic

Feel free to make offers, worst I can say is "No thank you".
  8. groovaholic

Bump for the 4 sets of strings this bass will ship with
  9. groovaholic

Getting some solid interest on this bass; if you want one, and would like to save over $1000 vs. a new one, let me know!
  10. groovaholic

2 days until eBay bump
  11. groovaholic

OK, so here's the string tally:
    (2) New Sets [these sell for $35/each]
    (2) "Reconditioned" sets -- these were soaked for several days in denatured alcohol to get all the skin oils out.
    They sound like new; 1 of these sets is what the bass will "wear" for shipping.
    (1) New B-string [$13]
    (1) New E-string [$10]
    (3) Used B-strings
    (2) Used E-strings
    (3) Used D-strings
    (3) Used G-strings [that may sound like a stripper joke, but wasn't intended as one]

Unless you have really acidic sweat or simply MUST have minty-fresh strings at all times, these will probably keep you happy for a couple YEARS.
  12. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

MMMMMM! Tiger-eye Burlburst! Gorgeous!
  13. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Amazing contours and figuring :bassist:

Click pic multiple times for full size stunner :D

[​IMG]
  14. groovaholic

My photography doesn't do the bass justice!
    It's MUCH better in person...

Checked out eBay and they would suck up approximately $250 in fees on a sale like this.

So, let's say $2550?? Who's in? Who's interested?
  15. groovaholic

...and it's SOLD.

Be glad that you don't know how awesome this bass is, or you would weep and gnash your teeth at having missed-out on it.

As for me? F$&%*$g medical bills....

And Larry...congrats! You will have a bass that even non-musicians will stop and stare at in wonderment that human hands could create something so b@d@$$.

Sigh...:crying:
  16. groovaholic

I think my baby has found a happy new home, and its new dad will take good care of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.