FS: Ernie Ball Music Man SUB Sterling in rare color!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ian Perge, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Hey all,

I picked this up during Guitar Center's Memorial Day "Sale" when it caught my eye visually and aurally through a G/K rig even with deader-than-dead strings, and I picked it up... then you cut to later than evening after a cleaning, restringing and general inspection when I'm in front of my amp adjusting the EQ on both the bass and my rig, trying frantically to get a sound that is in some way close to "mine". Needless to say, it didn't happen. Turns out I simply don't gel with it's inherent tone and "Sweet Spot" pickup positioning - it a little too set in the upper mids and high-end for me, and I'm too set as a two-pup player.

However, it's still a killer deal for a fan of EB basses, the value of the SUB line, and Sterlings in particular. Firstly is it's finish - It's entitled "Textured Cinnamon", and the closest I can describe it is a textured version of the John Petrucci "Mystic Dream" color-shifting finish. It's "base" is a deep Red with a metallic undercoat of Gold that gives it a "Metallic Rust" look (? - as with all Color Shifting/"Flip-Flop" finishes, it's very hard to nail down.) However, at other angles you can get as well a Green, Gold/Orange, and slight Purple shades as well. Under natural or bright indoor lighting this bass quite literally glitters.

Dan from Ernie Ball Customer Service, a great guy, extremely helpful and quite happy one of the Textured Cinnamon's has shown up gave me the SUB's D.O.B. and this interesting bit of information: by his numbers only SIX basses were *ever* produced in this color until the line was discontinued! It was the last color put into production to try and give a bit of "flash" to the mostly black/white/red/blues of the SUB lines. The rest of the specs, which I'm sure you all know are as follows;
    • MusicMan SUB Sterling in "Textured Cinnnamon"
    • "Born on" 6/22/05, San Luis Obispo CA, USA
    • Slab Body
    • Sterling-sized Maple neck and headstock painted black with a Rosewood fretboard, 22 frets
    • Music Man Sterling Humbucker in the "sweetspot"
    • Volume control and 3-band EQ (9V - Bass, Mids, and Highs)
    • Black matte & White Pearloid pickguards
    • New set of D'addario ProSteels XL EPS170s (.100, .080, .065, .045) installed Tuesday the 3rd
    • OHSC (a bit dinged up, but certainly usable) included
    Specific flaws are few: by it's very nature it's incredibly hard to find dings on the textured finish - I've found only 2 extremely minor (about 2mm) scratches on the body. Similarly, there were a few typical headstock dings as well but appears to have been "fixed" by Sharpie - unspotable from farther than 4 inches away due to the painted back and "sides" of the headstock black. One scratch on the neckplate, otherwise no scratches or rust on any of the hardware (bridge, tuners, knobs, pickup polepieces. The bass has just been cleaned, fretboard oiled, new strings installed, and chrome polished. Also comes with an extra "White Pearloid" pickguard to swap out with the flat black should you desire. A great bass for either a backup, for "Rough Bar Gigs" where you are hesitant to bring your transparently-finished $1,500+ "baby" of a Sterling ( :help: ), for the cool finish to add some *BLING* to your live gigs, or if you've wanted to try the sound and playability of a Sterling but at about $1,000 less than a new standard Sterling.

Given that a fully usable OHSC will be included in this sale as well as the rarity of the finish, I'm asking $500 plus shipping for this bass inside the CONUS. Shipping will be at the customer's choice of dealers along with insurance for the stated amount. I'm a good deal frustrated that I *can't* come to terms with the tone of the bass, but my issues are now your gain!

Trade possibilities: I'd take newer Avatar Neo speakers: a 2x10" (8 ohms plus cash, Line-X coating please), 2x12" or 4x10" (8 ohm plus cash from me, Line-X, please). As for payment, PayPal's the easiest, but other methods can be worked out if needed.

Promo picture:

[​IMG]

"Real Life" pictures below. They show a good deal more of the metallic and color-shifting nature of the finish, and you can see the dark red/rust color with a gold undertone. I attempted to take photos outdoors where it was absolutely brilliant under natural light, but the photos simply didn't take - this is a hard one to nail down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Polk Salad

Polk Salad

Please put me first in line for your photos - I'm interested.

Thanks! :hyper:
  3. FloydianAnimal

FloydianAnimal

PM Sent, looks like a great bass! :)
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Leaving for a weekend trip, so all current and weekend PMs will be answered in order Monday evening.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

All Private Messages replied to, "real life" photos added to listing.
  7. miss g

miss g

I like the finish on yours, mine is blue. This is a great bass for a great price. Anybody looking at it should jump quick. :)
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Bump-for-Hump-Day. ;)
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Withdrawn for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.